TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American SW rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2016 at 9:50am
Real neat seeing the pedal setup, I've never had a 58-60 American that far apart. Just not enough room for power brakes. If you wanted power you'd have to use a remote power unit. In that case I'd just run a single unit on the front brakes and leave the rear non-power. That would alleviate the need for a proportioning valve, and the front brakes do most of the stopping.
Frank Swygert
nextstep View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nextstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 5:25am
If you wanted power brakes maybe run a hydro unit from a gm truck, they run off a power steering pump. No booster unit to clear.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 5:59am
That might work. Height isn't a problem as the accumulator is no higher than the top of the master cylinder, but width would be. A modification of the mounting bracket would be required, but I think it could be done. One side of the bracket could be left stock, the other side modified to fit around the accumulator.
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 9:20am
This is pretty much the same set up I have on my Pacer, 4 wheel disc manual brakes and it stops on a dime. Trying to keep it as simple as possible. Pacer is a heavy car and the American is probably 800+ pounds lighter so should not need a booster. As for P/S nope manual all the way. Now just hooking up the steering column linkage to the transmission and then running the brake lines.  The only units that I will have will be A/C and power windows.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2016 at 10:34pm
I was thinking on running the power brake assy off of a Jeep Cherokee. I pulled one from a wrecking yard and it.s also an assy from pedal to master cylinder including the mounting brackets and combination valve. It's probably the easiest way to go if one wanted power brakes. Hopefully I should have the brakes and steering done in the next two weeks. Been helping Forum member redo his suspension on his 68 AMX. Took the trunnions apart only to find no bushings (not even the dust from a bushing) Bearings also seized and ground into the upper spring supports, so a bit more work then we thought but an adventure. Would have been nice if they made the trunnions out of aluminum with steel sleeves because it is a pretty good design way better then my 59 Ramblers trunnion set up. I also ended up tying in the clutch pedal in with the brake pedal just to give me that extra width. I might actually be able to drive her around the block. I've owner her for around 7 years now and got her as a shell, Odd but I have not named her yet. I've called her many names, usually when things aren't going my way but no permanent name. My Pacer is Penny from the previous owner.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2016 at 9:12am
Yea got my steering column mounted so I can steer her around the yard and since the column is in I thought I'd attempt to install the shift rod. All done and working good, I will have to lengthen the shift arm on the column since the throw is to short I cant bring the shifter down to manual 1st. probably wont ever use it but you never know. Just have to run the brake lines and I'm sort of road worthy. Here is a pic I took of the event and parked it in front of my house. Neighbors loved it and now they know what I've been up too. Wish they made milk crates that are more conferrable, maybe with some back support/lunbar.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2016 at 9:22am
Great progress!!
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2016 at 2:31pm
Well this morning I decided to see if the Explorer seats would fit the American, Probably the easiest seats I've ever installed. 6 way power + lumbar support is sweet and the fabric isn't bad. If I decide to cover them it would have to be Serapais, you know that really colorful Mexican fabric. Should have some around here somewhere I'm just Eye sight from the border. Drilled the holes for the front bracket and will probably use a speed nut for the rears. Very comfy
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2016 at 7:41am
Update so the steering is in, mounted and working so I drove it around the block got some thumbs up from neighbors that just hate my loud 401 Pacer. if they only new, Brakes are working flawlessly so far but top speed is only 10MPH, no gas peddle yet. It felt great. Now to finish up some side jobs so I have money to get my gas tank from Bruce in Cally. Working on a olded Camaro that the rocker shaft pulled out of the head. installed a AMC rocker stud in it's place, works every time just tapped the hole. Jeep Wrangler trans solenoid pack common concern when you take a Jeep in the water, even a puddle. Anyways now working on the wiring. just a few thing to wire up. Like everything from the headlight to the tail lights. it has absolutist nothing but I have my handy dandy Rambler American service manual with all the wiring diagrams.  
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 3:45pm
Dang it's been a year since I posted here. well health issues and all. Well I've been working on the American on and off and here is the updates. A/C installed and cooling exceptionally well. Engine tuned and re-jeted Weber progressive carb and made adapter plate to accept holley finned air cleaner assembly. Installed new wheels with 4.5 backspace so now no rubbing issues. 15X7 and 245/60 15 installed. Installed another hood that I got off of Ebay. prepped and primeed the body and painted the back hatch just to check the color (happy). went on a nice cruise up the highway to check out mileage. my speado is off and couldnot find my garmin so I ended up going to a toun 65 miles away so 130 round trip got me around 34MPG, but wont be sure of exact mileage till I go on my trip from TX to Florida next weak. I hooked up the lockup clutch in the 700R4 so it should help. 3.73 gears worked out great and at 70 MPH she cruises with minimal effort. could easily take 4.10s. Top speed so far was 95MPH and I think that will be it, not into the high speed or racing anymore. Very happy with the 2.5 Jeep motor, more power than I though it would have but I did balance and blueprint the engine. bored .020 pistons and milled the head to boost compression. cam is a mild and just helps midrange torque. just what the engine needed. also put SS valves and brass guides. Thats when I was working and could afford those things. now I'm retired and whatching every penny. Here are some pics. working on the wipers rate now and thanks FARNA for the suggestion on the inermediate shaft, not enough room to flip the wiper arm. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic