TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American SW rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 9:21am
Installed the engine crossmember in it's permanent location. engine is about 1.5 inches from the bulkhead trans crossmember is installed and mounted and all clearances look good. Boxed in the lower drivers side ball joint/ had to extend the ball joint out about a half inch to get some adjustment on camber. now I have to do the pass side and box all the balljoints in. And then clean it up a bit. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 9:46am
Top is not  too pretty but I still got to box in the upper ball joint clean all the welds and paint. That's a 72 Matador  spindle and ball joints. 59 american Upper and lower control arms. 72 Mustang spring perches and 59 American coil springs. plenty of room so far for the 245/60-15's. it all got a bit rusty since she was sitting out side for a few months. Oh Slimer my shop cat, Son of Metro, grandson of Nash. He  keeps me company. and as you can see he is pointing to a concern that I need to address. He has been promoted to Shop cat foreman. He all ways wants to know what I'm doing and usually gets in between me and what I'm working with. Does keep me calm.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 9:25am
Looking good, fabrication is what you need to do any more with these old cars, and can be more satisfying some times than just a Summit order and bolt it on, even though I'm a big fan of Summit and Jegs
Do and re-do has been a big part of my build too.
Brandon
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 10:18am
Yea tell me about it. I spent weeks doing my engine mounts only to find a crossmember from a postal jeep that pretty much bolted in, in a day. Here are some pics of the R&P I mounted yesterday. all angles are good so bump steer should not be an issue and sector shaft looks clear all the way to the column., got a piece of PCV as a mock up for steering shaft. using regular steering arms that I reamed, but still looking for Pacer arms or I'll just have to shorted these and make them work.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 12:16am
Well today I finished up the steering. And then I needed some paint. opened up my paint cabinet and guess what all my extra steering arms and the lost Pacer arm just sitting there in a milk crate. (Darn Gremlins) Took a pic of the different arms. 59 Rambler American arm on the left, only have one, Remember it was just a shell when I found her. Then the two Pacer arms then the other 4 are Jav/Matadors ect arms. Not much difference between the mounting holes and the tie rod holes from the Pacer and the common arms but it will make a big difference in travel. American arm is very short and it's not bent just made that way, No wonder the steering wheel is so big. just need to box in the upper ball joint and i can do that while it's on the car.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 12:58am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 8:03am
Just a note -- the American arm bolts on straight across the lower two bolts. All others bolt on diagonally -- lower spindle bolt in front, upper bolt in back. Measuring from the front hole to the tie-rod mount hole you will find the American arm about the same length as the Jav/Mat arms. Pacer arms are at least an inch shorter. Rack and pinion doesn't need as much leverage, and doesn't travel as far. The pitman on the steering box is about the same length as the steering arms. 
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 9:04am
Yea it does make it the same length as the common arms. Forgot about the mounting points. For now I'm going to use the Common (Jav/Mat/Ambo) arms. So much other things to do, Exhaust is next and Radiator.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 2:15pm
If you use the common arms with a rack and pinion you'll have a turning radius like a school bus -- a long school bus. Tried that first! Could make a left 90 degree turn fine (an extra lane to turn through!), but couldn't make a right 90 degree turn into a drivewa, that became a three point turn in!!
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 5:19pm
I'll found my missing Pacer arm so I'll switch them out later, for now just to move it around the common arms are staying for a while. Basically burned out messing with the suspension and steering. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic