TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American SW rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 4:53am
I like the intake. It looks like it fits the engine compartment nicely. I think the Holley/Weber is a great carb. It should work well. I am interested in seeing what you do to get the HEI to work. Great project!
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 11:07am
Had to machine off the EGR to get the intake narrow enough to fit. now I have about an inch of clearance. As for the disc it's in pieces. Had to buy a whole distributor for a chevy V8 off of Ebay just to get a Reluctor, Found that GM calls it a Timer Core and looks to be the only part not sold seperatly. I may make some extras if it works out. There is a company that makes a hei/dui for the 2.5 but it's out of my budget at around 400.00.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 11:34pm
Update. still waiting on HEI so I ended up using my Motorcraft distributor and installing a HEI module under it. I found this info on a old Hot Rod magazine sight here is the link.     http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1311-convert-a-ford-or-chrysler-ignition-to-gm-hei/    I did the mod and it works perfect. I still need to find my vacuum advance canister, just misplaced it. Motorcraft for AMC's are still sold by Auto parts suppliers for around 80.00 or so bucks and the HEI modules go between 20.00 and 40.00 bucks. Do need to use a Ecoil but still it is a bargain compared to a aftermarket unit for AMC. I used my old 4.0 ecoil. I through away the harness to that coil last week so I called for a new coil connector for a 4.0 Jeep and it was 100.19 dollars. So I went dumpster diving and found the harness with the connector I needed.  100.19 for a two wire connector and 4 inches of wire, and no it isn't a typo. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 11:55pm
Here is a few more pics. I did have a concern with the starters hitting the Flexplate gear, so I had to pull engine and make a shim/spacer that I installed between the crank flang and flexplate. Also found that the Motorcraft starter was poo and had to use the GM style Permanent mag type out of a S10. seams to be working fine now and she is again running.  Did make a crossmember to connect the engine mounts tabs together giving the front end a bit more rigidity, It will also serve as a mounting point for the Rack and Pinion. Ground clearance looks good and even installed the original crossbrace fromthe lower control arm mounts. it has been a good day. tomorrow I might start on the transmission crossmember.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 9:08am
Yestrday after hitting the Pick and Pull for a crossmember. found one just sitting there after someone pulled the trans, Thank you. modified it a bit and installed along with the driveshaft. Today I need to tweek the engine over about a half inch to the drivers side just to center it. Found out that a radiator from a Jeep cj series is a bolt in so should order that now. Time to turn some wrenches.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 8:05am
Looking good! Tying the engine mounts together with a brace that doesn't move is great! Those cars do spread in the center over the years and miles. They weren't intended to last 50+ years!! The K-brace that bolts to the lower arm mounts helps, but not enough for so many years. Plus it is moved every time the front end is aligned.

Original cars get an increasingly tall stack of shims on the inside as the rails slowly spread. Like I said, the car was intended to last 100K/10 years, so you can't complain that 50 years later it has spread some. I've welded and extension to the lower edge of the thick suspension mounting plate on each side then cut a piece of 3/4" pipe to bring the rails to the factory measurement that will mount between those extensions. Then a length of hardened 3/8" threaded rod is used to pull and hold the rails in. I do it that way rather than weld something in so it can be removed to drop the oil pan or engine from the bottom (the way AMC intended the engine to be removed/installed).
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2015 at 3:17pm
I do find it easier to remove the engines thru the bottom on most vehicles. That of coarse if you have a lift handy. The original mounting point for the original 6 cylinder was at the front of the engine and attached to the front frame horns, Mine are attached rate to the center of the suspension lower towers. close to were the steering box used to be. Later I will make to crossmember out of 1/4 aluminum and install something like you said. an adjustable crossbar. Had to move American out so son can work on his B$$$W. Waiting on Reamers and some hood hinges that I won off Evilbay for the American. 
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 12:12am
Me again. Well after making my own mounting brackets for the engine and for the body and attaching them together with Jeep Cherokee mounts and being happy with the outcome I ditched it all, Went to my playground the other day and spotted a Jeep Postal vehicle. Not a jeep that someone went postal on. It was a 85 model or so with the same 2.5 engine that I'm using in my American. Had an odd but very simple crossmember with hockey puck style mounts and looked about the correct width, so I bought it and yanked everything out of my American and started over. Hear is the mock up pics for now, tomorrow if my smashed finger feels better I may finish it up. engine is centered better and moved back about an inch. I did modify the crossmember by taking an inch out of the sides because there was two inches of room between the engine pan and the lower part of the crossmember. looks like this will give me more room for the rack and pinion also
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 12:18am
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 6:17am
Looks like some nice fabrication work there.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic