TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American SW rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 59 Rambler American SW rebuild
    Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 9:38pm
I Guess this is were I start.  Found this in a barn/back of garage.  stripped of entire drivetrain. windshield and suspension. Basically just a shell.  Brought it home and stripped her down more, pulled all fenders, (rears unbolt which is cool.) doors ect ect. Found a rear passenger floor board, 2 windshields (always good to have a spare in Tx)  and a 54 Nash hood with scoop from Cally. (Thank you Bruce) Now I'm putting her all back together and it is fun but a lot of fabrication. I guess I'll start with the drivetrain, and for those that say it can't be done or it wont fit, well it's been done and it does fit.  But it did take a lot of time, a lot of trial and more error then I am willing to admit.  DRIVE TRAIN. I went with a 1985 Jeep 2.5 liter engine.  Why?  It was cheep, and it was attached to the vehicle I bought. I completely went through the motor .020 over, Low torque cam, ported and polished the head and a slight resurface. Note Engine had stainless steel valves that will come in handy with the fuel I will be using.  TRANS.  found a 700R4 trans out of a S10 that had a 2.8 liter motor. Since it's 60 deg configuration it bolted rate up.  Just got the overhaul kit so I'll rebuild the trans in a month or so.  SUSPENSION.  Trunnions are for the birds. I rebuilt them and I just don't like the way they operate. So took it all apart again. Looked around for a substitute and didn't want to go with a Mustang ll suspension.  Settled for keeping the upper and lower control arms and just welded in mounts for ball joints, using 70 and up steering knuckles of a mid size AMC. and ball joints that are off the same, say 72 Matador.  Spring perch is from a Mustang. had to cut down to size and make a round 1/4 inch thick base for the coil spring. Got to admit it is looking good so far. did have a concern with the steering arm bolts getting in the way so I just got rid of the nuts and threaded the steering arms themselves and installed helicoils and shorter bolts.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 9:50pm
Now she has plenty of room for steering. Going with the smaller Concord disc brakes. So if anyone out there is actually reading this I have an entire disc brake set up. off of a  72 Javelin AMX for sale. it includes the rotors, hubs, backing plates, calipers and brackets.  Rotors are removable from the hub so there cheap to replace when the time comes.  300.00 plus shipping OBO. Will be in Austin for the Regional and can bring them with me.  Let me know if interested. Phone 956-219-6494.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 10:34pm
Too cool. Pics please
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Freecat1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freecat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 7:47am
Welcome to the Forum, we need more wagons here. Flat Tops are Cool.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 9:38am
Yes we need pictures! I think I saw your post on the ball joint mod in another post.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 1:58pm
testing
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 2:07pm
Ok here are some pics. had to re-size.I'll get some more this weakend
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 8:56am
got a bit side tracked. health problems again. 2 years since I added something to this page and yes I feel bad. I did get a bit frustrated and I think it was from jumping around to much from the brakes to engine then to suspension then to body and so on, really not getting any one thing totally done. So rate now I'm concentrating on the engine. I have the 700r4 bolted to the engine using a 3.1 flexplate and made my own crank bushing to align the torque converter hub. I machined the T/B intake to accept an adapter plate that I also made, this way I can use the progressive two barrel carb made by Weber/Holley/Motorcraft. Always loved this carb. Also fiddling with the Distributor, I guess you all call it the dizzy now. Would like a HEI but Davids unified ignition is a little to proud and I just cant see 400.00+ for a dizzy. So making my own from a stockpile of parts I have around. I'let you know in a few days or weeks how that turns out. I've got some pics and will add on next line. Hopefully I can stick with this till I'm done and it drives.

Edited by WARBED - Aug/28/2015 at 11:49am
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 9:01am
d
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 9:07am
Alternator is the only thing that gave me a clearance problem, I can remount it to the drivers side since there seams to be ample space. Did have to cut the EGR off the manifold and plug the port with a core plug. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic