TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'59 Rambler 6 engine swap to 360

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkcr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '59 Rambler 6 engine swap to 360
    Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 1:44pm
I searched, but found a limited amount of information on whether the more modern AMC 360 will easily swap into a '59 Rambler 6 cross country.  This is the AMC wagon, by the way.  Not the smaller "American" or mid 50's Nash variety.  

The old inline 6 is dead and I happen to have an outstanding 360 and tranny sitting on the floor.  When I say easily, I mean will there be any firewall carving, cross member fab'ing, header panel trimming, hood scooping, fender widening or other frankenonesense to do.  
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 2:19am
It can be done but "easily" is NOT the key word. You would need a big car V-8 crossmember for one or modify what's in there now. Probably a rear crossmember too. Then since your wagon has a torque tube driveline you are going to have to fab up a complete new differential and driveshaft. Might be easier looking for a 287/327 engine and tranny.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 6:36am
It's not "easy", but almost any engine will fir the engine bay, so no worries there. You will need to fab engine mounts and a trans crossmember.  The 56-62 V-8 crossmember won't help. The old V-8s mounted differently, with a four point mounting system, so the mounts aren't even close to where they need to be for a 63 and later V-8. The trans crossmember runs under the bell housing, which had two mounts on it.

The original suspension crossmember on the 59 is heavy enough to carry the engine. You need to lower the engine in place with the rubber mounts you intend to use to see where and how high "perches" need to be. I'd leave 1/2" between engine and oil pan (at least 3/8") to allow for settling once weight is on the mounts and as the mounts age. That would leave you at least 1/4" between pan and crossmember later. I typically use sections of rectangular tubing the correct height bolted to the rubber mounts then to the crossmember (or weld them to CM) to put modern sixes on 63-64 196 CMs. That should work for you. There may be holes in the original CM where the old V-8 mounts bolted (a short piece bolted to the CM and extended to the front CM normally used for sixes, with the front V-8 mounts on that piece between the CMs...).  You might be able to use those to bolt the rectangular tubing to.

You have a torque-tube car, so you have a problem on the other end. You have to change the rear suspension and axle to use an open driveshaft. Lots of info in the 56-66 rear end swap thread, drivetrain section. Also take a look at this page:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/66-rambler-6cyl-removed_topic67069_page9.html
A late model Mustang 8.8" was used with a tubular crossmember for the upper control arms. 92+ Ranger rear axles are about the right width also. Early Explorer axles are 1.5" wider than late Ranger and are a bit wide. Explorer can be narrowed by using an extra short side axle (shorten long tube to fit), or use deep offset wheels. The Ranger axle is close with no mods, and the Explorer disc brakes can be fitted if desired.

Frank Swygert
clarkcr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkcr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2016 at 1:28pm
I have a '99 Jeep Cherokee that has a rear axle that's 1" or so wider.  It has coil springs right where the Rambler coils are.  It has a three link suspension that I think might work.  Let me explain that...it has two parallel trailing arms on the bottom and one triangular arm on the of the differential.  No pan hard.  

1974 AMC Javelin AMX
1959 AMC Rambler Cross Country Wagon
That's all for now.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2016 at 8:00pm
The single triangular arm on top takes the place of two angled arms on most four links. It's really the top two links made into one. If you have room under the car for the top arm it will work. You can use deeper offset wheels (like the Jeep wheels, but they might be too deep) to overcome the 1" wider width. Angled upper arms also eliminate the need for a panhard rod.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic