TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 American front wheel/drum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2017 at 9:59am
spacers maybe?
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
pwreimers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwreimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by amcglass amcglass wrote:

spacers maybe?

Vinny had that idea, and I thought it a prospect, too. It makes me nervous. I'd have to convert the whole assembly over, including the backing plate I think, to 2-1/2" wide drum/shoe and still have to use a spacer. I suppose it's feasible to experiment with swapping the hub using the wider drum, use the 2" shoe, and use the spacer. I don't know...

There's gotta be a better way.
pwreimers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwreimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

At rock auto they do not care about it being the correct part. They will just blame you and keep selling the wrong part to other victims. Luckily when it happened to me it was only an $8 part out of a $500 order and being in Canada there is no effective way to send anything back.

It was suposed to be a turn signal flasher for a 97 contour. What showed up was the part number I ordered but it is not correct at all, it was just some unrelated relay for another car, i chucked it. They are still selling them. When I called they said I was mistaken and they are still selling the same wrong part 3 years later.

My experience with Rock Auto was the opposite. They took back my drums and paid the return shipping. I sent them the same pictures and they had no problem. I did have to telephone them, though. The website showed the return would be that I paid that portion, which prompted me to call them. The phone guy was tremendous. He followed up VERY well. I'm impressed, and that doesn't happen very often.

Actually, when I approach these situations I usually let them know I want them to be successful and this is my way of doing that. I never help people that I could care less about. I only help those who want to excel.

Their data on the website remains, though. Getting that right will probably take time, as farna noted.

Regards,
Pete
pwreimers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwreimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I just checked,  I have a brake drum that looks a lot like the your drum on the right,  it's off a 69 American.

How wide is the machined braking surface inside ?

I think a 2.25 or 2.5 brake shoe will fit.  You stock size shoe is 2,  right ?

Have you already checked and made sure your stock wheels isn't sunk in the center so it will bolt on that drum?

If your stock wheels will fit,   i'd get another drum like that and move up to the bigger brakes.   That can't be bad.

You know, that's a great option, now that I've been forced to re-look at this.

Since that drum is wider, if I put it on the existing hub using a spacer that's half as wide as the width difference, then the shoe would remain in the center of the wider hub. The 2" wide shoe would not use the entire width of the drum, and would wear a band into it.

The wheel would be about 1/4" further out, perhaps a bit more as I recall.

Would that work?Wacko

Thanks, tyrodtom! You forced me to think differently.

Pete
Wagon Nut View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagon Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 1:12am
I know this is an older thread, but I am having the EXACT issue with replacement drums. Previous tech articles indicated that a 15"replacement drum from a mid 60's car would fit on my 1959 full size rambler with 15" rims. Same issue- the rim doesn't seat against the drum & there is a 3/8" gap. I am wondering if a stock steel rim from a mid 60's amc would fit? I'd like to keep my stock full size hubcaps tho.
Ironically - a 14" rim fits this new drum flush to the rim, without the gap.... but won't clear the steering /tie rod.
Farna -you gotta know the solution to this!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 7:24am
I've never run into that problem. However, I'd use a spacer between the drum and rim. I know you can get 1/4" spacers easily. Obviously there was a design change in the drums and rims.
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 9:30am
If the supplier for Rock Auto says it will fit, they will do nothing for you, they will blame you for the mistake, and they will not consider changing their listing so others do not get the wrong parts. That is why I quit buying there. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 9:32am
I went from the 2 1/2 wide 9's to 10's. There was a clearance problem maybe with the tie rod. Using the spindles that came with the 10" fixed the problem. The spindle bases were maybe 1/8" to 1/4" thicker. I used them because I had them but would not have hesitated to put spacers inside the spindles. If the bolts are of good quality I don't think that would be a problem. Same goes for between the drum and wheel.

Are there differences between the 2" wide and 2 1/2" wide spindles and backing plates? It seems on the 2 1/2 most if not all was gained by growing the drum outward. Can the wider drum by itself be bolted on in place of the narrower drum and still turn without interference?

I've been spending some time cleaning the garage. When I get to the 2 1/2 brakes I'll get some pictures and measurements. They were saved to be used in making a trailer but that ambition has long since faded. 

Edited by vinny - Apr/09/2017 at 9:46am
Wagon Nut View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagon Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 6:33pm
I think I'm gonna try to locate some mid 60's rims to see if they will fit on these drums correctly. I have run spacers/adapters before & I'm not a fan. I have already replaced the wheel studs once & I'd have to get longer ones to use spacers.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2017 at 9:22pm

These brakes 9" X 2 1/2".  
Spindle is 5.1" long, bottom of base to top, base is 1/2" thick. 

Edited by vinny - Apr/10/2017 at 9:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic