TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 American front brake drum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwreimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 59 American front brake drum
    Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 5:09pm
It looks like I can purchase front brake drums for my car on eBay, but they are without the hub/bearing/stud assembly.

I guess that the way to use this repair option is to take the old drum assembly to a machine shop, with the new drum in hand, and ask them to disassemble the hub from the old drum and mount the new drum on the old hub. Presumably I can put in a new bearing set and seals.

Is this correct?

Any alternatives/help/etc. greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Pete

Edited by pwreimers - Jan/20/2017 at 10:05am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 7:45am
That is correct. You can pound te old studs out with a hammer then put a block of wood over the hub and pound it out too. Then it's simply put the new drum over the hub then pound new studs in from the back. The new studs will hold the drum on, but if the drum is a bit loose it will be fine (like rear drums). You will warp the old drum when pounding the old studs out, but I assume it's worn too bad to worry about saving anyway. Just be careful driving the new studs in. Can be tough to support the drum and hub while driving or pressing new studs in. I've used two pieces of 1x2 (split 1x4) on edge since it will pass between studs and is long enough the studs don't hit anything.

If you have dounbts as to your ability to do any of this, take it to a machine shop. They may be able to reuse the old studs, but will likely recommend new ones. Studs aren't costly, ~$2 each.
Frank Swygert
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 7:52am
That sounds like the correct procedure. That is what is involved with a 68 Javelin with front drums. When these cars were new the drums and hubs came apart easily but are now rusted together.

Beware of the difference in thickness of the wheel mating surface between the new and old drums. When test fitting the modern replacement drums for my Javelin luckily I noticed the thickness difference which resulted in leaving the studs to short with not enough threads to safely mount the wheels. A shop would not have noticed this and sent the car out on the road and the wheels would have come off on the highway resulting in certain death.

I used the original drums as they have most of their meat left. This was rear brakes but also applies to most pre 1969 AMC/Rambler drums.

The original drums are 2 piece welded steel and this dimention is 1/3 the the thickness of the modern cast iron drums. Only new longer studs will solve this issue.

The total cost of the scarebird disc conversion (toyota type) $300CDN was less than rebuilding the nasty old front drums and everything is new except the hubs themselves.

Edited by maximus7001 - Jan/21/2017 at 8:08am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
pwreimers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwreimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 2:27pm
Being a driveway mechanic, and having a fair selection of tools after sixty years, pounding and pressing are tasks I get advice on!

I took a spare drum/hub to my local machine shop. They can handle it easily. Parts look like less than $175 for both fronts (drums, studs, seal and bearings).

Thank you! Oftentimes, just discussing problems and getting feedback gives me the best direction.

Warm regards,
Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic