TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

58-62 Rambler 6 axle discovery!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ScramblerB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 58-62 Rambler 6 axle discovery!
    Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 5:59pm
The replacement axles on the older Rambler 6's (10 series) are expensive and almost impossible to find. (I know as I broke one 3 years ago!). While taking apart the rear axle from a 1975 Pacer (Model 15 axle), I discovered that these (much stronger) axles could be installed into a 1959 rear end with very little modification. The model 15 differential assembly (the ring gear bolts onto this) must be used as the 59 differential assembly uses a different spline. Unbolt the old ring gear and install onto the model 15 assembly. The Pacer's axles are 31 3/4 inches long and the 59 Rambler axle is 31 1/2 and 31 1/4 inches long (right and left), so the Pacer's axles must be shortened slightly. Other AMC Model 15 axles may work. Make sure you re-shim the axle housing to brake backplate upon assembly. The outer bearing races are the same diameter.
59 Rambler Custom
69 Scrambler Original Owner
Gisulf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gisulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 8:41pm
Thanks, this may help some people out there. - Tim
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 2:38am
Sweet!! Thanks for the tip!! Also how are the axle bearings installed on the pacer axles? Are they a one piece design to where the bearing can get pressed on or off easily or similar to the original 2piece design that take a 100 megaton press to press off the hub to replace the bearings?

Edited by Ramblage - Aug/22/2016 at 2:45am
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
69ScramblerB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ScramblerB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2016 at 7:41pm

The 59 axles are the same design as the later model 15 axle. The hubs pop off easily (unless they are really rusted on) when you use a hub puller. Tighten the puller to 150 foot pounds or so then tap on the puller center bolt end. Repeat a few times until the hub pops off. I bought the puller (picture) in 1969 when I changed my first gear set in a parking lot at Ft Rucker, Alabama.
I know that pulling the hub is an extra set when working with AMC axles, but after you do a few it's not too hard.       
59 Rambler Custom
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 12:33am
Oh ok but I haven't had any luck separating the hubs off my 59 rambler axle to put new axle bearings in and I used a 20 ton press to try and separate them, even left it pressurized overnight with kroil soaked around the splines and still no go. Must of been rusted solid the axle then again it's over 50 years old.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ScramblerB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 3:50pm
That's frustrating! When I use the hub puller I tighten with a breaker bar with a pipe extension. Then pound on the hub puller center bolt a few times with a 2 pound hammer, tighten some more, pound some more then repeat. Usually pops on the third or fourth time. Only once did I have a hub that wouldn't pop (junkyard rear end). I ended up bending the hub with the puller.
If your bearings are ok, you might just clean, grease and reinstall. I do have a right axle with a good hub (detached) from my 59 if you need one. I also have the pacer axles with hubs.
59 Rambler Custom
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 5:47am
The AMC 15 design is pretty much the same from 56 or so to the end. In the late 50s/early 60s AMC had more than one supplier, and apparently didn't specify axle splines. Some of those years have a different spline in some axles, not all. Makes it harder to swap axles from about 58-62.

You could probably change the side gears where the axles go in on the differential. I don't think changing those gears would be a problem like mixing ring and pinion gears sine they are straight cut, ring and pinion are spiral bevel cut.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ScramblerB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 8:37pm
Thanks Frank,

Keeping the same basic design does makes it easier to swap years. I do like the newer axles if I had to replace the older ones. The 59 axle is about .908 inches in diameter before the spline (inner) and the 75 Pacer axle is 1.188 inches in diameter. Also, the newer axles and hub are keyed.
59 Rambler Custom
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 5:53am
The hub/axle key appeared in 1960. I was thinking 58 or 59, but you mentioned that yours is a 59...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic