TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

572 Ray Barton Hemi AMX - Info required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 8:18pm

Fred Brewer told me he had completely exhausted an AMC engines potential before opting for the Hemi. That was before the Indy blocks, maybe Fred's heads on a humongas CID Indy block w/1" valve lift? Naturally at that point it's totally a custom racing engine with no hint of an AMC component. So, you might as well get a blown Hemi.

SKeown
And your point is?

Edited by stickshifter - Jan/21/2012 at 8:20pm
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by stickshifter stickshifter wrote:

Fred Brewer told me he had completely exhausted an AMC engines potential before opting for the Hemi. That was before the Indy blocks, maybe Fred's heads on a humongas CID Indy block w/1" valve lift? Naturally at that point it's totally a custom racing engine with no hint of an AMC component. So, you might as well get a blown Hemi.

SKeown
And your point is?

I thought my point was clear, the introduction of a larger bore/taller deck block has provided additional performance potential for an AMC style engine beyond what was availiable to Fred Brewer at the time. 

But, AMC diehards that truely want to win races are sometimes confronted with a decision to pump gobs of money into an outdated design or spend it on a better design with many more parts availiable. Don't think I've forgotten what you and others have achieved with OEM blocks and cranks. As I've said before, I truely admire where you've gone with the AMC platform.

SKeown

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 10:12pm
The same is true of anybody who wants to stick with an Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Ford FEs Chrysler wedge. There is still at least as much potential or more in an AMC as any of these other out dated designs. It's just a ton more expensive and more work, but a lot more satisfying. But yes, you are limited by the size of the original AMC block.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2012 at 11:07pm

If owning the same AMX for 43 years doesn't make me a diehard, I don't know what would. I do find it disturbing when a friend adds a cam, headers, revamps the computer, changes the converter and rear ratio on a 115K mile LS powered Camaro and runs 10.60. Yes, doing it our way is demanding in every regard, but gratifying.

SKeown
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

The same is true of anybody who wants to stick with an Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Ford FEs Chrysler wedge. There is still at least as much potential or more in an AMC as any of these other out dated designs. It's just a ton more expensive and more work, but a lot more satisfying. But yes, you are limited by the size of the original AMC block.

You ain't kidding!  I just got finished building a Ram Air IV 400 Pontiac for my 70 GTO.  Pure Stock Drags build.  EXPENSIVE!

The 428 FE for my 66 Fairlane GT convt was a bit better - started with a 390 block (had to offset bore #1 cylinder b/c of thin wall), used unported Edelbrock heads, 10:1 forged pistons, stock FE rods and 428 crank, mild solid roller, etc.  Should be just over 500 hp for a fairly reasonable amount of $.

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
amxgtx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxgtx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 11:44am
Interesting subject again.
When does and AMC engine cease being an AMC engine?
Compare my 1967 GTX Engine to Fred's or Limey's engines.
Huge difference in the components.

Now the iron block and heads in my 69 AMX race car and the Aluminum block and heads from Indy, another huge difference.

Not to mention stock suspenion vs back half vs chassis cars and the capability of the driver.

I guess my point is speed costs money. It does not matter what brand or make, if you want to go fast you are going to spend a lot of money. Thats the difference between 13 seconds and 7 seconds.

AMXGTX
SG128 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2012 at 8:11pm

Johnathan- 

I can't tell you what year it was but, I'm 100% positive your car was in attendance at our annual "All-AMC Day" at Cecil County Dragway a few years back, before it went out to the southwestern USA.  I think the owner at that time had 2 AMX's, the other a nice black 68-9 street car and yours.  If I'm not mistaken, I also think your car may have been painted a solid red or orange before its current white edition.  Anyhow, I was in the left lane driving the original WIBG Pro Stock Gremlin at the time, and unfortunately, without wheelie bars on the car.  I remember looking over at the car as we staged and next thing I knew, I let go of the trans brake button, all I saw was sky as the front end went straight into the biggest wheelstand I've ever been along for the ride in.  I was fortunate enough to keep it off the wall but it was a costly run as after coming back down, it smashed the oil pan and bent one of the front Monocoque wheels.  I know the car's owner and I would LOVE to find any pictures of that pass but we've resigned ourselves to the fact that all the cameras must have been on your car instead.
Keep up the good work and us posted on your exploits!
Regards-
Don Bangs
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2012 at 9:14am
Not sure when it would have been painted red or ornge but when it arrived in Arizona it still had the red white and blue paint .It Is a really nice car The owner here messed up the paint .Then painted it solid white

Edited by RADAMX - Jan/26/2012 at 9:14am
Glenn Quinn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2012 at 11:17am
Don,

The photo I posted of car is from our race at Cecil County. I had my street AMX their so it must have been 2006.
The "X", 8.74 @ 162 - N/A
Turbo Tom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2012 at 6:03pm
I was out at an ADRL event 2 years ago and saw Freds car.
He was working on the Lenco.
Had a nice talk with him.
Good times
1979 Spirit Drag Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic