TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th OZ AMC/Rambler show 2017 & 50years AMC Rebel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4th OZ AMC/Rambler show 2017 & 50years AMC Rebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 4:21pm
So in 2019 there will be celebrations for 50 years of Hornets ? While it was common that cars came out late in the calendar year prior, using that theory to suit a car show is a bit odd. So my 1974 model Gremlin (built Dec 1973) is a 73 model ? No.

Just my 2c.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 4:36pm
GREMX from South Australia wrote;
So in 2019 there will be celebrations for 50 years of Hornets ? While it was common that cars came out late in the calendar year prior, using that theory to suit a car show is a bit odd. So my 1974 model Gremlin (built Dec 1973) is a 73 model ? No.
Just my 2c

70Hornet; Mate its all about enjoying our cars. The Javelin was sold new to the public 50years ago in 2017 and thats what we are "starting" to celebrate. Its not an official AMC sanctioned show or anything (AMC doesnt exist anymore). It is just an appreciation that 50 years ago you could walk into an AMC dealer and order a new pony car called the Javelin. The Mustang guys and girls had a ball celebrating their 65 Mustangs in 2014 with zero negativitiy I am aware of.

When I do up some history and info for the show magazine etc I will make it clear that even though thet were sold in 1967 making them 50years old they were still designated 68 models. But it cant be denied if some-one such a Maximus7001 bought a Javelin in September 1967 that is isnt 50years old in september 1967? 

Mate literally it is just about kick starting the Javelin celebration and an avenue for happy people to enjoy their cars. Nothing serious. I am sure in the US they will have some shows for the iconic car from 1st jan 2018. But this is near 4 months after they were released. Hope you enjoy your AMC's and we would love to have you come over and enjoy meeting many other interested AMC'ers one day Smile

If I was to buy a birthday cake for your Gremlin then December is the month I would do it Smile 

Edited by 70Hornet - Mar/24/2016 at 4:46pm
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 4:49pm
I guess a '50 years of Javelin' celebration can only be good for the AMC marque and raises attention to how old the cars are and yet stand up to scrutiny with their contemporaries.
Plus it will promote discussion as it has here.
All the best for next year!
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 74gremx 74gremx wrote:

I guess a '50 years of Javelin' celebration can only be good for the AMC marque and raises attention to how old the cars are and yet stand up to scrutiny with their contemporaries.
Plus it will promote discussion as it has here.
All the best for next year!
Thanks GremX. If you are able to you should try to bring one of your cars over. A LOT of people know your name but have never had the chance to meet you (some remember you from your Rampart days and would love to talk again). Let me know when it gets closer if there is anything we can do to help to get you and your brother and a car or two over here next year (if you have parts you wish to sell I can set you up with a site at our AMC section for free).
And yeah it is amazing they are going to be 50years old. When Dianne Wilson first started the Australian Javelin Register in 84 the Javelins were only 10 to 17 year old. Some only 10years old! Wow they felt old and unique even back then but there arnt too many, if any, 10 year old cars now that provoke such passion from their owners. Even the newest AMC (ie 87 model) is now nearing 30years old.
I am just glad that there is still a few old AMC's that survive and unless we start sharing our enthusiasm, knowledge and parts then this may not always be the case.  

Hope to meet you for a chat one day mate. Take care. jason Smile

Edited by 70Hornet - Mar/24/2016 at 5:21pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 10:03pm
This article about the Rambler Car Club of WA's road trip to the 1994 National Meet in Melbourne was just reprinted in the club magazine. Goes to show anything is possible, maybe time to do this again. Also you will notice many familiar names in the article and it may bring back a few memories of times gone by. By the way, this year is the 25th anniversary of the Rambler Club of WA.

Mrs Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 11:15pm
Thanks for sharing that article Western Red...it brought back some good memories and  boy haven't we been around a long time - feeling old :-) As for the 50th Anniversary for Javelins I don't think it really matters, my first thoughts were "it should be 2018" bet then I was reminded that the cars were always released ahead of time and some still are today. They talk about 'plated' cars but I don't really think a few months early or late makes much difference - let's celebrate!!!!! Jason has been doing a mammoth job trying to unite the AMC hobby with this annual national event and he deserves to be congratulated. I have already decided that I will be there in 2017 and who knows what 2018 will bring anyway so let's make this something to remember...
RUMBLR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMBLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2016 at 5:05am
Does anyone know how many of the 90 Australian 68 Javelins were built in 67?

Seem to have build numbers but not build dates.
343 904 M20 - 11.83@115
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2016 at 6:29am
I would be certain that none of the Aussie ones were built in 68, we are really talking about US release and the problem I see is that we wouldn't have any 67 build cars at the show, not really that big of an issue. I have suggested to Jason that we do 50 years of the Rebel next year as they were released in 67, but the problem we might have is getting some Rebels to turn up, there was one there in 2014 and none since. We are already getting a good turnout of Javelins, I'd really like to see a lot more of the other models at the show.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2016 at 2:48pm
Hi everyone
I was trying to work on my car yesterday but i had this niggling thing in my brain slowing me down (yeah any excuse to procrastonate working on the car LOL) about the Javelin 50th party. I made some phone calls, popped out some emails etc to further guage what people thought. While it is fully justified to have a 50th birthday in 2017 for the Javelins (as there is no denying that maximus7001's September built Javelin will be having its 50th birthday in 2017) it could lead to a little confusion because in the US cars get designated a "year model" unlike Australia (letters) and England (which do it in Mark's ie Mark 1, then Mark 2 etc). So in essence the Javelin even though it is 50 next year was designated 68. I am leaning towards Western reds idea as there is a handful of Rebel's I have contact with and maybe there is more then we know and something like a 50th bash for them may drag a few out that havnt been out for awhile. Even if no Rebel's turned up all the AMC's that are at the 4th annual show can party for them and send them pictures Smile.
So while nothing is in concrete yet please put up as much feedback on this forum as you can over the next week (keep it constructive please) and we will assess soon. And whether we celebrate the Javelin's 50th in 2017 or 2018 is irrelevant because the fact there are still a few on the road and driving deserves a celebration every year. I think back to say 1990 and I cant think of too many 50 year old cars on the road back then.

And maximus7001 expect a 50th birthday card for your Javelin in September next year regardless Smile 

Hope everyone is having a happy and relaxing easter

Edited by 70Hornet - Mar/25/2016 at 3:10pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2016 at 10:13pm
How does this sound? Smile

4th annual Australian AMC/Rambler show 

celebrating
50 years of AMC Rebel's 
(1967 to 2017)

and also celebrating
 25 years of Chryslers on the Murray

March 17/18/19 2017

More details in the coming months
Put it in your calender Smile
This is going to be big!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>