TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4-speed swap..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-speed swap..
    Posted: Jul/26/2007 at 8:42am
I Need Advise.....please help!

I'm looking to convert my 71 Hornet 6 cyl auto, to an 8cyl manual trans. I've got the engine and steering column, but need everything else for the manual trans swap. The V/8 bellhousing,clutch fork,trans crossmember/mount, all seem pretty universal (I think), but I  the real concern for me lies with the pedal assy and Z-bar. Will these parts interchange between Gremlin and Jav/AMX too, or do I need to strictly stay with small bodied car parts? I have 68-74 Javelin pedal assy, and access to a Z-bar from a 74 javelin, can these parts work on the 71 Hornet, or do I need to focus on getting pedals/Z-bar strictly from Gremlin/Hornet? I want to do this right with as little modification as possible.

I also would like to eventually put a T-10 in the car, but because of financial restraints I think I'll have to start with a 3-speed manual. My question here is after the swap is completed with the 3-speed manual trans installed, would I eventually be able to just pull out T-14 (3 speed trans) and slide in T-10 (4 speed), or is there a spline difference on input shafts between the two transmissions? And if I change from a 3 to 4 speed on car, how would the location of shifter change inside car? How much additional cutting either forward or backward of trans hump is required?

I know this a pretty loaded question(s), but I really appricate any advise you experts could offer. Thanks a bunch...Rob
javelinjeff View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 7:35pm
well first of all the t-14 is a six cyl trans,you would be better off finding a t-10,also the t-14 uses a shorter input shaft so you would need a 6 cyl bellhousing from a 72-up car(starter location&bolt holes same as v-8).also the v-8 bellhousing is usually not drilled for anything but the t-10(to the best of my knowledge).i discovered all this many years ago when i wanted to put a 4 speed in a 6 cyl javelin 20 years ago.the v-8 trans had a longer input shaft and would not fit.also your engine crossmember will need to be changed or you will need special motor mounts to use your 6 cyl crossmember(i've seen them for hornet/gremlin frames).also you will need to change rear ends too as the v-8 cars used the model 20 rear while your 6 has the model 15 rear end.also i advise changing front spindles and hubs as the v-8 stuff was bigger also(at least on javelins).i'm in the same boat as you with a 69 javelin with a 6 and it basically requires gutting the whole undercarriage and replacing with v-8 stuff---one of the mistakes AMC did,using totally different stuff on various engine sizes,unlike a Chevy that used interchangeable parts between 6 cyl & 8 cyl cars.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 12:17pm
I wouldn't be so quick to doom the AMC15. Sure, I'd put it on the list of things to be done. But I wouldn't be in a big hurry.
   Mine has stood up to considerable abuse behind a 4.0L, T5, combo. I'm running 255/60/15's too.
    Front spindles are only different when going to the Matador. V8s did get bigger brakes.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by javelinjeff javelinjeff wrote:

well first of all the t-14 is a six cyl trans,you would be better off finding a t-10,also the t-14 uses a shorter input shaft so you would need a 6 cyl bellhousing

Well I have a factory V-8 Gremlin that has a factory installed T-14Tongue................and now have a 360 T-14 combo!TongueConfused
javelinjeff View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2007 at 4:32pm
are you sure it's not a t-15? my 6 cyl t-14 was shorter than the t-10,maybe the later cars(grems & horns) used the short t-14's behind the 304's,,,,what is the length of the input shaft?

Edited by javelinjeff - Aug/01/2007 at 4:32pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2007 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by javelinjeff javelinjeff wrote:

are you sure it's not a t-15? my 6 cyl t-14 was shorter than the t-10,maybe the later cars(grems & horns) used the short t-14's behind the 304's,,,,what is the length of the input shaft?

The bellhousing is the 6 1/2 oneBig%20smile.......the 1971 Javelin with a 304 3 spd has the same set up as the 1972 Gremlin 304 3 spd......T-14....Just looked in the 1974 TSM V-8 Gremlins used the T-14 in 1974.....1975 V-8 Gremlins use the 150T.......Looked in the 1975 TSM......in 1976, V-8 Gremlins use the 150T. (1976 is the last year for V-8 Gremlins)......the T-10 is longer than the T-14.  (I don't have a 1973 TSM or a 1978 TSM)  (I have the 1972,'74,'75,'76,'77,&'79 TSM's) very good information!Stern%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic