TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4-piston Bendix Repro brake pads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-piston Bendix Repro brake pads
    Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 7:55am
Just wanted to share something I came across at Parts Authority - Centric now makes replacement brake pads for the 4 piston AMCs, they are listed under 69 Charger, but before you groan, they are flat! No tabs on the backing plates. PN is 102.00190 and they are about 25 bucks a set. Showing new pads next to old Charger pads, which were on my Machine. 
Also of note, A1 Cardone has been offering rebuilt calipers, the picture on Summit shows a repro outer shell (no Bendix logo) but an original inside, for about 100 each. Not sure on the quality of those, I only picked up the pads.

MarlinSteve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlinSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 1:19pm
Good to know, Thanks

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:38pm
All makes used the same four piston Bendix calipers, so no surprise or concern that they are listed for the Charger. 
Frank Swygert
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 6:52pm
Frank...not to be picky but the calipers used on Chrysler cars had different calipers....the bolt spacing of the caliper to the bracket is different between AMC and Chrysler....found it out the hard way many years ago trying to help a friend.  I was always curious why Bendix called for D-18 pads on AMC and on Chrysler they called for D-19 pads.  The ones in the picture of the original poster of this thread is a D-19 version.....

When AMC went to Kelsey Hayes Single Piston, AMC and Chrysler shared the same attachment pattern difference again, but all used the same pads for K/H calipers.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 5:56am
Didn't know that! I think Ford and AMC directly interchange, but the mounting bracket may be slightly different for them also. I'm pretty sure all parts interchange among them... except the casting with the mounting ears, as you just stated. The pad difference might be friction coefficient -- many of the Chrysler cars heavier than the AMCs, and/or had more power.
Frank Swygert
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 6:32am
Frank.....it is all good, I thought I was helping my Mopar friend by offering up a pair of Calipers so he could make it to MOPAR Nationals with his super low mileage Wagon, his Dad bought new....it has just a tick over 4500 miles, but you know these calipers don't like to sit....so I looked at it as a loan.  So he counted on me, both sides were leaking, so I ended up sacrificing two caliper repair kits and we blasted the internals and used a metalized epoxy in the bores to fill the pits, it was made by Loctite.  It fixed them and he still made it....this was the mid 80's.

Here is my next question for you, those Centric pads are Metalic, that scare the you know what out of me on a solid rotor......for normal driving no problem, but if you are a spirited driver, those rotors are so expensive, I would rather have the dust and wear the pad (friction material), not the rotor.  I will apologize in advance for bringing the Studebaker's into this conversation.....but all Avanti's use a Bendix Rotor, sold, near identical to AMC/Bendix, but thinner (yes, can you believe it thinner) and there was a lot of controversy years ago when Metallic Pads were made available for those cars....the Avanti crowd drive there cars tons, much more then most 2 seaters (AMX) these days and the feedback was not good....a lot of reported warped rotors....was that from the thinner rotor or just not a good combination of old and new technology.....love to hear yours and other thoughts.  I personally have enough pad sets collected up for my lifetime, but this maybe very helpful for others.......one thing I do like is that they went to a Bonded Pad, and stopped the Riveted Pads...that is a plus....a small kiss from the Rivets can be kiss of death of the solid rotor.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 4:42pm
I'm concerned about the composition of the metallic pads. I expect to be back on the road next week with the Machine, I'll post results. I've had problems with a pad being too hard and the car won't stop. I'm also familiar with the Avanti brakes, and Mercedes used similar systems as well, and they like a soft pad. I'm running the original rotors on the machine and am going to keep a close eye on wear. I thought about swapping over to Kelsey Hayes 4 piston with vented rotors (I do a lot of old Mustangs), but keeping things original for now.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 5:27pm
The Doge/Chrysler Bendix calipers also are different because they used a vented rotor, vs. our skinny solid rotor!
The Cardone listed remans used a new casting, so were really new calipers. They seem to be out of stock now....so you may have missed your chance!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 6:04am
Didn't know the Chrysler rotors were vented. One solution to the expensive replacement rotors for AMCs would be a Wilwood solid rotor. Just get the right hat and rotor size. Might have to shim the calipers to get a correct fit, but the factory installs use shims also.

Rotors warp due to composition of metal in conjunction with thickness (thicker lower quality metal may not warp as quick as thin higher quality) and heat. The metallic pads might create more heat than standard, but maybe not.
Frank Swygert
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Didn't know the Chrysler rotors were vented. One solution to the expensive replacement rotors for AMCs would be a Wilwood solid rotor. Just get the right hat and rotor size. Might have to shim the calipers to get a correct fit, but the factory installs use shims also.

Rotors warp due to composition of metal in conjunction with thickness (thicker lower quality metal may not warp as quick as thin higher quality) and heat. The metallic pads might create more heat than standard, but maybe not.

The solid AMC 4 piston rotors aren't that expensive anymore. Centric makes them. Part number 121.63049 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2034254&cc=1002698&jsn=358
The only downside is these don't include the hub and special wheel studs.

As far as I know only AMC and Chrysler used Bendix 4 piston calipers. As has been pointed out there is a significant difference between the Chrysler and AMC versions.
All other American 60's cars that had OEM 4 piston calipers that I know of were either Kelsy-Hayes or Budd design.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic