TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4l headswap valve spring questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncofab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4l headswap valve spring questions
    Posted: Dec/13/2018 at 9:39pm
What is the max lift on the stock valve springs 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 6:32am
0.500" is max, but I'd go a little less than that, like 0.490". The Comp Xtreme cams have too much lift for the stock springs IIRC, and the Comp recommended springs are really for high rpm racing -- I consider them way too strong for street use. You will need off-road oil or a high pressure additive to run them also. Anything much over 300# per inch on valve springs is too much for regular oil. I think it's Crower that has springs around 312#, those are the strongest I'd recommend. Mopar Performance sells a performance spring for the 4.0L that is really just one of the V-8 springs. It's not a lot stronger than stock 4.0L springs, but is stronger... I forget the rating though.  That's what I always recommend, and something like the Isky 256 Supercam (mild) or 262H (a bit more aggressive but still not bad, and works with all stock parts -- works with stock gearing, but would "like" a little more gear, like the optional ratios, 3.08 or better).
Frank Swygert
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 6:39am
Not sure what cam you're using,  but the only springs i found that fit without machining were from Hughes.  Those were the only ones that gave me the right install height,  fit the hole, and gave me 280# of open pressure along with the correct closed pressure for my Comp x4 cam. Every other option required something to change that would cost me more money. 

Comp tech support said i could go as low as 280 pounds on open pressure,  instead of the 300+ on the card.

Just be careful and do the math on installed height,  pressures and spring rate, and you can always spend the extra money to go custom pockets and valves if you need to. 
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic