TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4bbl intake for 290 - cheapest?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4bbl intake for 290 - cheapest?
    Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:01pm
Ok, first problem I have is being in the UK so no junkyard options.  I am really fed up of trying to get the 2 bbl carb motor running right so I have bought a replacement 290 engine - what a find - I'd be surprised if there were 10 in the country - and everyone (out of the about 20 people in the 65 million population who knows what an AMC even is) wants the bigger cubes.

However, it has yet another type of 2bbl carb - pretty sure its a Carter but a different Carter from the one I had, or the Holley I replaced it with, or the (different) Holley in my 67 parts car.  I decided I'd rather go 4 bbl if possible but don't have a ton of cash - anyone have a good option.

It's a 68 Rebel 290 v8 - the engine I have is from a 68 Wagon that is sadly no longer with us.

Or should I stick with the 2bbls and try another rebuild/new carb?

I would go EFI but I really don't have the cash to spare right now.

The car is a weekend toy - no drag racing or burnouts required (no offense to anyone who does).

67 Rebel SST convertible (parts car) RHD
68 Rebel SST convertible RHD
56 Chevy 210 (Long term project)
rwtylla View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwtylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:25pm
I would purchase a new  holley two barrel from summit racing. I put one  on my 304, it worked great. Most of the rebuilds are poor at best, every once in while you get a good one. If you want a four barrel pick up a edelbrock aluminum high rise from summit racing. Hope this is of some help
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:26pm
it’s a smaller horsepower engine verses the 290 4 barrel cars 
So mite just have a go at that deuce again
You can upgrade to 4 barrel but you won’t get performance 
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
rwtylla View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwtylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:29pm
p.s. a 550 cfm carb as more punch off the line anyway
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 6:43pm
I would say for overall cost and lack of real horsepower gain from a 4-barrel you would be really happy with a new Holley 500 cfm 2-barrel. The only reason I could see changing to a 4-barrel is if you want to install an aluminum intake to drop a few pounds. I can't see a 4-barrel giving you any performance advantage over the 2-barrel on a stock 290.

Tom
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 8:49pm
The 290 2 brl is a small pattern, not the same as the 70 up holley 500.

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 9:15pm
There is also fuel consumption saving to be had by changing to 4bbl. Made a huge difference on my 287, if I drive sensibly.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by mark09 mark09 wrote:

The 290 2 brl is a small pattern, not the same as the 70 up holley 500.

That interesting to know. I guess since I have several AMC/ International 401 2-barrel intakes laying around I assumed they were all like that. Then an adapter could be made from aluminum plate. Probably still cheaper and easier to do than buying an intake and carburetor.

Tom
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:07am
A nice small cfm four barrel will run great on the 290. Particularly with a reasonable dual exhaust system, and slight tweaks to the tuning of things.  You will need to slot the 4 inner manifold holes in order to run a late model manifold. Lots of info here on that. 

I’m not a fan of the 500 cfm Edelbrock. I think the boosters are terrible, and theoretically the mixture quality poor. 

Summit racing re created an old carb, they look excellent, feature wise and I’ve heard great things. Number:
SUM-M08500VS

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:12am
I would recommend against the large 2 barrel and go with a smaller 4 barrel and an Edelbrock performer manifold with the heat crossover blocked, especially with that summit carb. Sharper throttle response, and better economy. Sorry fellas, can’t vote for the 4150 2 barrel. Don’t bother with out duals out back, or a real good single system designed for performance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic