TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4300 carb issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2020 at 3:12am
Not good pictures but it's all I have for now. The car isn't with me. It's at my friend's shop. Also the Intake manifold is an Eddy Performer. It is using a stock air cleaner from a 304 Hornet. The hose from the air cleaner to the oil fill tube is also hooked up.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jun/05/2020 at 10:44am
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 9:00am
OK so I have pictures but the files are all too large to upload to the forum apparently.

Anyway... We ended up trying an Eddy 600 carb that was on a stock 350 truck engine just so see if it would fire, run and rev up properly. It was running kind of fat and blowing extra carbon out of the exhaust but it did all of that. Aside from being rich it ran fairly well even if temporarily. So it comes down to the 4300 being problematic. It was sitting in a box for a few months before being mounted and then the car sat in my garage all winter. So anyway... do you guys think I should rebuild the 4300 or should I get an Eddy 500CFM carb?

This is a stock 1973 Javelin 304 long block with an Eddy Performer intake, ported exhaust manifolds, true dual exhaust/H-pipe, dual electric fans and it will also eventually have TFI ignition upgrades with advance springs in the dizzy. (Edit: TFI/Dizzy parts not yet installed.)

Thanks.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jun/10/2020 at 8:04am
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 3:27pm
A over heated intake heat stove can make it appear rich.
I started blocking the cross over's in the mid 1970s
and NEVER regretted it.

IMO if you own the 600 there is NO reason to waste money on the 500.
Gremlin Dreams
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2020 at 5:47pm
I love my 4300 carbs, so I would rebuild the one you have before I would buy a new carb to replace it.

If you do rebuild it, spend some time reading the service manual before you start. Understand how the carb works, & what all the settings & adjustments are before you start. Pay attention to how the two needle assemblies are adjusted. Pay close attention to the accelerator pump circuit.

The solenoid in your picture is either an anti dieseling solenoid, or it was used to kick up the idle when the AC was engaged. I'd have to check my manual to be sure.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

and NEVER regretted it.

Hi Boris... I believe the cross over is blocked on my intake. Rick Jones prepped it for me but I don't remember if he did that. I think he did though. I'll check.

Also... I apologise but I realized that the way I wrote that previous comment might have made it seem like I owned a 600 carb. It was actually temporarily liberated from my friend's shop truck's 350 just to test the engine.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2020 at 7:01am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I love my 4300 carbs, so I would rebuild the one you have before I would buy a new carb to replace it.

If you do rebuild it, spend some time reading the service manual before you start. Understand how the carb works, & what all the settings & adjustments are before you start. Pay attention to how the two needle assemblies are adjusted. Pay close attention to the accelerator pump circuit.

The solenoid in your picture is either an anti dieseling solenoid, or it was used to kick up the idle when the AC was engaged. I'd have to check my manual to be sure.

Cool. I'm definitely considering using it because I have it and think it will actually be a good match on this engine.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2020 at 5:30pm

Is this the right gasket for my 4300 on my Eddy Performer intake? Are the black marks vacuum leaks? Thank you.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

and NEVER regretted it.

Hi Boris... I believe the cross over is blocked on my intake. Rick Jones prepped it for me but I don't remember if he did that. I think he did though. I'll check.

Also... I apologise but I realized that the way I wrote that previous comment might have made it seem like I owned a 600 carb. It was actually temporarily liberated from my friend's shop truck's 350 just to test the engine.

The cross over is not blocked.  keep looking for something simple.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2020 at 8:30pm
The gasket shown is old and compressed, looks like backfire by the black marks. Regardless that gasket is garbage. When swapping out to test carburetors new gaskets can be reused, always use new gaskets - they are cheap.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2020 at 8:56pm
Put a square across the bottom of the carb across the bolts. If they're overtightened, they warp. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic