TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 with 727 transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 with 727 transmission
    Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 9:25pm
I just purchased a 1974 401 with a 727 transmission attached. These came out of a 1974 IH 2 wheel drive truck sitting in a barn since 1981. Farm truck with 33,000 actual miles on it. 

The engine is stuck so I'm soaking it in marvel mystery oil to try to free it up. 

Trying to decide what to do with the transmission, with that low of miles on it I'm thinking of just changing the filter and fluids. I don't have a vehicle to put these in at this point, however the 68 Ambassador 343 engine and m11 transmission are being rebuilt and are out of it so other than needing a driveshaft I could test them out in it. 

what I'm wondering is if I can free up the engine should I start it and run it as is and test the transmission at the same time. 

It has a two barrel motor craft carb so id pull the intake and install an aluminum intake and four barrel carb so I could check lifters and cam at that point. Ill try to get a bore scope to look into the cylinders to check for rust and see valves.  
Babycakes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 12:26am
Take it apart!  
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 5:30am
I would never try run either of those components without a tear down and inspection.  Unless stored in an absolute vacuum moisture will have gotten inside and that's never good.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 6:49am
I've run 727's that have set for 20 years successfully but nearly 40......  Wow.  I would at least drop the pan and do a visual on the internals and look carefully at the drained fluid for color and odor.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 11:44am
If you wish to pull pan only to change filter and gasket try not to flip it upside down because all the sediment will end up on all the parts I've used 20 or 30 year old transmissions before but with a 727 it's so easy to work on it's best to take down and change all the piston bands and lip seals while ya can and don't forget the lockdown shaft seals and gear selector seals
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 11:49am
Rebuild kits are freaky cheep like 120 buxx gets ya all consumables inside. Behind a 401 might be best idea   
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I've run 727's that have set for 20 years successfully but nearly 40......  Wow.  I would at least drop the pan and do a visual on the internals and look carefully at the drained fluid for color and odor.

Hey! I was born in 1981, and I am most certainly NOT “nearly 40”! I’m nearly 37, thank you...
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic