TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 Roller Motor Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 Roller Motor Update
    Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 5:47pm
I've been having problems with oil pressure since installing the roller cam & lifters. After the engine warms up the oil thins and pressure drops to about 12 lbs at idle. Under heavy acceleration the pressure drops around 30 lbs and flutters around. This tells me too much oil is getting thrown around and leaving the pan dry. When the engine is cold this doesn't happen.

I removed the roller lifters today. Got less than 500 miles on them. They're definitely loose in the bore. They all look like this:

Put my cheapo dial caliper on it and an unused lifter that came out of a 290 last winter.

Does anyone make these roller lifters 0.905"?

-Steve-

whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 6:20pm
I've heard Johnson will machine a set to your specs.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 7:24pm
Yeah... I've spent too much $$$ on this roller cam nightmare already. Cordova is coming up so I've got a decision to make:
1) New high $$$ roller lifters.
2) Go back to a flat tappet cam.
3) Take The Machine instead of the AMX and tear down the 401 this winter.

-Steve-

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 8:20pm

Using a dial bore guage (begged, borrowed or stolen) measure all the lifter bores, calculate an average, then call Joe Lewis at Johnson Lifters. He'll make some that will correct you're problem. A number of people have taken that course of action and been happy with the outcome.

SKeown
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 8:33pm
I put the Johnson solid rollers in my 401 oil pressure has been great since.
Lets go racing!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

Using a dial bore guage (begged, borrowed or stolen) measure all the lifter bores, calculate an average, then call Joe Lewis at Johnson Lifters. He'll make some that will correct you're problem. A number of people have taken that course of action and been happy with the outcome.

SKeown

SKeown,

Thanks for the info. I'd rather not tear this engine down a second winter in a row. If I can get some roller lifters that fit correctly that would be the path of least resistance.

Will they use the same length pushrod as the Comp lifters?

-Steve-
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:51pm
Isnt Crane making them again?
Ontario Automotive View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ontario Automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 8:57am
just a note on roller lifters on 401 engines The problem exsist with one side of the engine getting more oil then the other side so what I have done was to bore and install new bronze bushings in the lifter gallerys with smaller holes and on the left side of the engine i ran smaller hole pushrods to even out the oil to both sides works perfect price wasn`t to bad either we dyno it and pulled 650 horsepower out of it with good oil pressure we went 060 over on flat top pistons with aluminum rods X heads and a good camshaft with a herman lewis tunnel and two 750 cfm carbs
works very well total build cost about $15000 but when we go to the drag strip people do notice a we have it mounted in a 1969 scramble with 7000 original miles been a race car since 1972 lots of fun so don`t hesitate to email if you need help Thanks Karl
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 11:59am

Bushing the lifter bores with smaller oil feed holes is what I did, but that's a major undertaking compared to getting properly fitted Johnson lifters. You can easily restrict the oil flow going to the driver's side bank by using a .090 orifice flow 1/4" plug behind the 3/8" galley plug. 

SKeown
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 8:29pm
What pushrods are you guys using with the Johnson lifters? Are they the stock length?

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic