TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 Oiling System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 Oiling System
    Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 2:19am
I'm gonna eventually build my 401. Going all out with plans of 500 HP and 500 ft lbs. It'll be a cruiser mainly and a occasional race at the track. What oiling system mods are absolutely mandatory? I tend to over build stuff. Read online the big issues are oil flow in the chain cover and the passages for the oil pump and return system. The second one is with the cam bearing oiling. Read the fix is a external line from galley #1 over to galley #4 in the valley. What do y'all recommend? What needs to be done by a professional at a shop? Never built one and don't wanna short change myself.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 6:39am
Just had a 401 come in yesterday for a second rebuild.  In two lifetimes the crank is still useable with standard bearings.  No oil mods in evidence.  I have used the oil line mod in the lifter valley after seeing some engines with wear at the  back rod journal in basically stock application.  Most of the valley line installations I have seen are poorly executed with restrictive brass fitting and small line size.  Performance American sells/used to sell an oil line kit that used AN fittings and -8 line.  I use two 45 degree fittings at the lifter galley instead of the single 90, but basically use the PAS kit.  
THE BEST OIL MOD YOU CAN MAKE IS A CANTON ROAD RACE/STREET OIL PAN.  Using the deep pan solves most of the oil starvation problems common in AMC V8s.  I had one engine that for whatever reason had severe oil starvation.  Canton pan and matching pickup solved all the starvation.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 6:43am
The best oil mod you can do is make sure the 5 factory oil passages from the main saddles to the lifter galley are drilled though completely. Remove the cam bearings and use a long flute 12" x 5/16 bit.
Most are barely broke though
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 7:20am
I'm going to be building an engine soon, so I've read quite a bit of stuff on this as well.  The other things I've read are to make sure that the oil passages in the timing chain set are correct (may have too much oil flow with currently available upper gears, or may have misaligned slots in the gears and minimal flow).  Also to make sure oil pump gear end clearances are correct and check for sufficient drain back clearance between timing chain cover and front of the engine.  And make a permanent spacer on the bottom of the pickup tube, some of the factory plastic spacers can break off and allow the pickup to drop down to the bottom of the oil pan.

You will likely get plenty of responses, but basically I've read that the factory oil system has a bad reputation and should be sufficient for most applications if the details are understood and confirmed.  Extended high RPM usage may require more modifications.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

The best oil mod you can do is make sure the 5 factory oil passages from the main saddles to the lifter galley are drilled though completely. Remove the cam bearings and use a long flute 12" x 5/16 bit.
Most are barely broke though

Quoted to make sure this is not missed.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 12:43pm
For those wondering about a 12" x 5/16" long drill bit Lowe's has a excellent, reasonably priced unit for $4.48 that will handle the job.
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 1:01pm
No endorsement or disapproval, but for reference there is a lot of AMC Oil System info in this thread if for no other purpose than an attempt to collect it all, good and bad, right and wrong, new and old, or whatever, all in one place, for reference.
Generally, it seems the AMC Oil Pump is 'too good' and moves too great a volume of oil,
at rpm empties the oil pan before the oil has time to run back to the pan,
and therein lies the 'problem'.  Drainback seems to be where opportunity lies.
And obviously as well as fully drilled oil passages as previously pointed out.
Statements in as early as 1969 Traco and Car Craft articles say as much.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Dec/08/2019 at 1:04pm
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 3:44pm
I agree with the Canton oil pan. Additionally I like using a Mopar 340 windage tray (modified to fit the AMC V8).

-Steve-

Gremlin401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 5:37pm
Thank you guys for your input. What vendor sells Canton oil pans? 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Additionally I like using a Mopar 340 windage tray (modified to fit the AMC V8).

Steve didn't you make a thread on modifying the Mopar windage tray one time? If so it would be interesting to bring it up again.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic