TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 crank is reground, does it need rebalance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 3:41am
King's catalog shows .001" undersize rod bearings for AMC V8's, but not the 390 and 401, and they show no .001" undersize main bearings for AMC V8's period. That sucks. 

You might be able to call them. They might have a creative person on the line who can figure out a bearing that will work.

Time to start calling bearing manufacturers. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 6:43am
I can call King and see what can be done.  I have a contact there that I call when I need to confirm/locate bearing for various engines I build.   Right now I think the problem will be getting items in stock due to the whole virus BS.  

I'll find out in the next day or two what the response will be.

Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 6:59am
Don't waste your time with plastigauge. All it tells you is you are in the ballpark.

You might want to do some of the following oil mods while the block is torn down. (It worked for me along with tight main and rod clearances).
Re-drill the main bearing oil feeds with a long 5/16" bit.
Install a plug in the driver's side oil galley with a 0.200" hole.
Reduce the four rear camshaft bearings oil supply holes to 0.150.
1982 Jeep CJ-7
http://theamcforum.com/forum/basically-stock-cj7_topic106501.html
https://irate4x4.com/threads/basically-stock-cj-7-update.383765/
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 9:34am
If your pressure is acceptable at cruise and under acceleration I would run it. I have seen low pressure engines run for many trouble free years
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 10:16am
have a friend who bought a jeep cj with a 304. it had less than 10 lbs on the guage when hot from day 1 and carried 35 lbs at speed. It ran that way till he sold it and new owner ran it till he replaced it with a 401. this was a new 1979 jeep .
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 6:43pm
Did i miss something...The engine was modified without turning the crank? So when the org work was done(Piston replacement) was it balanced then????
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 6:49pm
Also before you tear it apart check the oil pump end clearance
they make a few that are thinner or thicker
If you have any questions give me a call at the shop Monday -Friday 816-547-5695
John Garland owner of Garland Performance
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I have a set of .001" mains 
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

If your pressure is acceptable at cruise and under acceleration I would run it. I have seen low pressure engines run for many trouble free years
Do you have a part number for those? Would you be willing to part with them? Not sure if I need them yet, but if I do need them, I may hit you up, if that is ok. 
OK, roger that. My factory electric gauge shows about 36'ish on the freeway but my Mechanical gauge is under the hood and I cannot see it when driving. I will have to move it so I can verify it while driving.
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

King's catalog shows .001" undersize rod bearings for AMC V8's, but not the 390 and 401, and they show no .001" undersize main bearings for AMC V8's period. That sucks. 

You might be able to call them. They might have a creative person on the line who can figure out a bearing that will work.

Time to start calling bearing manufacturers. 
I have to verify what I need first. I am gathering all the goodies to pull my engine and keep my downtime as low as possible (gasket set, coolant, etc.) and hope to pull my engine in mid October'ish. 
Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

I can call King and see what can be done.  I have a contact there that I call when I need to confirm/locate bearing for various engines I build.   Right now I think the problem will be getting items in stock due to the whole virus BS.  

I'll find out in the next day or two what the response will be.
Awesome! I would buy you a beer if you were local, to say thanks. 
Originally posted by Kreep Kreep wrote:

Don't waste your time with plastigauge. All it tells you is you are in the ballpark.

You might want to do some of the following oil mods while the block is torn down. (It worked for me along with tight main and rod clearances).
Re-drill the main bearing oil feeds with a long 5/16" bit.
Install a plug in the driver's side oil galley with a 0.200" hole.
Reduce the four rear camshaft bearings oil supply holes to 0.150.
All I have is plasti-guage at this point. 
Copy all the suggestions. I'll see what I find when I open it up. I do not plan on doing a full tear down so I am hesitant to do any drilling on the block unless it is absolutely an "issue" that needs fixing. I say that because I feel if I do any drilling, I feel like I need to completely strip the block to make sure there are no metal shavings that get left in oil galleys/passages. 
I hope to not have to pull the pistons out or the cam. If I do need to, I will do what I have to, but I am trying to avoid it. 
Originally posted by jblue1555 jblue1555 wrote:

have a friend who bought a jeep cj with a 304. it had less than 10 lbs on the guage when hot from day 1 and carried 35 lbs at speed. It ran that way till he sold it and new owner ran it till he replaced it with a 401. this was a new 1979 jeep .
Copy that. Makes me feel a little better. If I had a 360/304 I would run it til it puked but I get really scared of damaging this 401 crank. I would rather spend the $500 now doing a bottom end, then have to find another 401 crank later because I torched this one. 
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Did i miss something...The engine was modified without turning the crank? So when the org work was done(Piston replacement) was it balanced then????
Nah, when I did the original rebuild, the machinist measured my crank and said it was within tolerance and only needed to be polished and balanced. So it was polished and balanced without being reground. 
Originally posted by garland performce garland performce wrote:

Also before you tear it apart check the oil pump end clearance
they make a few that are thinner or thicker
If you have any questions give me a call at the shop Monday -Friday 816-547-5695
John Garland owner of Garland Performance
Will do, John. I JUST had it blueprinted when I rebuilt the engine but will check it anyway. 
So how do I check to see if my lifter bores are OK? I am thinking when the engine is on the stand, I will pull my intake, spin the oil pump and see if it is squirting out from around the lifter. Is that a valid test? Is there a better way to check it? 

Also, just pulled out my receipt from the machinist. My mains were at .0023" plus or minus .0003" and rods are .0026" after polishing. I have never found metal shavings in my oil filters but I know I had really low pressure for the first 200 miles or so I may have worn those bearings a little more than that, too.

Last thought, I have ARP hardware on my rods. I did not chamfer the nuts so this may be impacting me as well:
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

A flanged style rod nut will distort the connecting rod unless you chamfer the nut like this one.
If the rod is distorted, it may plastigage ok in one direction but not purpendicular to that measurement.  I am not saying that what the issue is but, it doesn't help.

79 Cherokee, 401
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by rang-a-stang rang-a-stang wrote:

If I do have it re-ground, do I need to have it re-balanced? I had it dynamically balanced during the first rebuild and I really don't want to have to pay for that again... 

Just for giggles I calculated how much imbalance there would be with a 0.010 cut on the rods.  It turns out that it's about 3 1/2 grams per rod.  Unless you are going for an 8500 rpm motor, I wouldn't worry about that.  This is assuming your initial balance was within 2 grams.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 11:16am
As the original question was about balancing...

Balancing an engine is about the relationship between weight and its location to the centerline of the crankshaft. The further a "weight" is from centerline, the more centrifugal force acts on it as the crank spins up in RPM.

So as cranks are cast or forged, the metal density changes throughout the structure of the crank. The manufacturing tolerances for pistons is pretty wide and densities vary in them. If you want the crank to spin vibration free, you have to balance it and the rotating elements. You balance it by either removing the excess weight that is hanging too far out from centerline or you add weight to the opposite side of centerline to "compensate or even out" the weight. Or you may add weight or drill the flywheel or harmonic balancer. It all depends on the location of the "imbalance" or the offending weight.

The crank has "throws" or big chunks of metal opposite from the rod journals to offset the weight of the rod and piston. Drilling holes in the throws removes weight and adding slugs of "Mallory metal" adds weight.

The throws are drilled or weighted based on weights of the pistons and rods. Ideally, each rod, piston, wrist pin and ring set would all weight exactly the same. "Dummy" weights are then added to the throws, the flywheel and harmonic balancer are installed and the crank and weights are spun up and the machine checks for vibration. The throws are then drilled or weighted to compensate and provide for a vibration free engine...within a tolerance of course. The tighter the vibration tolerance desired, the more critical the removal/addition of weights is and hence cost goes up. You wouldn't balance a factory cast crank and rods to spin above 12K RPM like an INDY motor...

If you grind the crank .010 under on the MAINS what have you changed in the balance equation? Nothing. You removed .005 from each side of the crank journal. Nothing changes. Weight of the rods/pistons/piuns/rings FROM CENTERLINE didn't change. This holds true for the MAINS.

If you grind .010 from the rod journals, you will have removed a portion of metal that is offset from centerline and you will need to rebalance. I believe it was mentioned in a post above that it was miniscule and it is. Your balance may not change enough to justify spending $$$ to rebalance. Now, I say that for a street motor. If you are on the strip and spinning into 8K regularly, I recommend re-balancing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic