TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 jeep 2wd trans useable in javelin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.0 jeep 2wd trans useable in javelin?
    Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 1:29pm
i was searching thru the available trans information to switch from a 3 speed to a 4 speed overdrive.
( very hard to do thru google,it doesnt post many search results. )

i read thoroughly the 700r4 the 200r4 and also the conversions from auto to stick.
all of them parts/pieces for the auto cost a lot of money,and i understand why yall converted to 5 speeds/and 6 speeds!

one of the things i noticed over on the jeep forum was people were converting 2wd jeeps into 4wds.
now,they state the transmission/42re? rfe? off the 2wd 4.0 motor jeeps
will bolt up to a amc v8 motor.
if this is true,can they be used in a javelin too?

has anyone looked into this?
when i ebayed the trans,the pictures suggest<<<< that its a 727 case/with the overdrive/aka the old 500 trans,albeit Much more compact than the old 500 was.
the old 500,you could use a toggle switch for overdrive as well.....
it looks like it would fit the trans tunnel?

any advice would be helpful.
the car is a 304 auto.
my original trans is a light duty/alum housing/no reverse and no parts to be found for rebuild?
plus im installing an 8-3/4 dodge rearend with 3:91 gearset.

you dont get old and say i wish i had.....you get old and say..im glad i did.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:01pm
Did you read the sticky on the aw4?
Just another option.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/aw4-conversion-by-rick-sc397_topic15549.html
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
amcFever View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:03pm
yes Sir,i did. Thumbs Up
forgot to mention that as well.
was looking at this other trans as an option tho.
did note that he said he recced 3:55 gears instead of 3:91
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:31pm
And this is what it will look like behind your AMC V8.   It's 6 inches longer than the 904, and the mounting will be quite different for the rear trans mount and bracket.   I'm going to try to fabricate the rear mount this weekend.

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:31pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:45pm
BTW you will need to crossbreed the trannys to maintain a hydraulic control. From what I can determine the 42RE 2wd in the Jeeps does not have a hydraulic governor, so you must somhow graft in a controller. Myself (and Traveler I believe) are using hydraulic control by using the Jeep/AMC pattern front case with a mopar 2WD 42RH.

Mopar made running changes improving those things, so you want the newest tranny you can find up to 95, as in 96 they went electronic. The last few years got major oil pump and oil system upgrades, so 95 is best.

There is lots of ways to upgrade the tranny using factory parts as they used those things in many applications, but a 304 should be fine with basic 42RH stuff.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 3:00pm
Earlier 42RH's have governors so if you stay pre 96, you'll be fine. I looked into this a lot but I'm 99% sure this won't fit into a Javelin without modifying the tunnel - which I didn't feel like doing so I dropped it. I determined this from measuring and it wasn't super accurate. I would of mocked it up if I had the opportunity but I didn't. IMO, it's the easiest way and a heck of a lot cheaper.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 3:05pm
I have an AW4 from a 2001 2WD Cherokee 4.0. They make a TPS conversion/addition for Holley carbs. Then just use a factory TCM, they were a separate unit with their own harness. I might use it in a V-8 Hornet I'm looking at.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
amcFever View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 3:42pm
oky,im further along and a bit confused as well.
which trans has a governor and doesnt need to be modified?
governor as in shifting/kickdown?

Kens post says we need to swap cases and innards,Mopar guy says we dont?
pretty much looking for the easy cheap way out here.
was thinking could use the whole trans as is from the jeep 2wd?
which brings to mind the question of torque convertors as well.
is the 4.0 a neutral balance? is the 304?

Traveller,the trans combo you have there,whats it going in and more specifically,whats the Dimensions on that trans perchance??
width/height length etc.
what kind of lootage did you guys spend on this conversion?

Mopar guy,yeah,im kinda on the fence there,the car is a plain jane,not worth a whole lot but yet the body is in vgc.
it would be a bit tough at first cutting it.
cept the quarters,we wont talk about the quarters.

Edited by amcFever - Apr/24/2014 at 3:47pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 4:13pm
In the name 42RH (etc) 4 is number of speeds, 2 is relative strength, R is rwd (or 4wd), and H is hydraulic, E would be Electronic. The E's are computer controlled, and they replaced the mechanical governor with the computer.

All 4.0 Jeeps were 42RE's because they needed to shorten the tranny to fit in the Jeep, and to do it they got rid of the governor. Jeeps were electronic several years before the Dodges were. So there is no bolt on hydraulic control tranny to an AMC. You cannot use a 2wd jeep without figuring out a controller. It's been done sucessfully with the AW4, dunno about the 42RE.

But it is very simple, cheap, and easy to make a hydrualic control 4 speed OD using a front case from a Jeep 4.0 42RE and everything else from a mopar 42RH 2wd. A tranny shop will charge lots, but it is actually really simple, and parts are dirt cheap. You do need a special spring compressor for rebuilding the OD. Again upgrades using stock parts are cheap and easy, once you get into aftermarket upgrades and kits it gets more expensive. The OD and converter LU are solenoid so they can be by switch, or you can make a controller using oil pressure switches in the tranny governor output.

The stock external balance 304 flexplate will bolt right up to the pre 96 42RH, everything fits perfect, and you keep your engines balance. Even cooler the stock throttle pressure linkage, and in my application the stock shift linkage fits and it fits the tranny tunnel with no modifications. The tranny crossmember requires significant rework. The rear OD section is a lot bigger than the tail section of the 904 and uses a 727 yoke. In the AMC you can use a driveshaft from a 727, but it needs to be shortened a few inches.

I've seen one in a Javelin, and I don't think they cut the tunnel, but not absolutely sure. The crossmember does hang down in that car, so maybe they lowered it a bit for clearance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic