TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 Heads, Latest Year?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.0 Heads, Latest Year?
    Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 10:26pm
So the Head gasket on my car blew so I was thinking that I could get a 4.0 head from a junk yard with the exhaust header and good valve cover for what it wold cost to have the head planed at a machine shop. 

So the question is, what is the newest head I can use that would be as plug and play as possible? 

Mitch
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 6:27am
ANY of them need the same thing -- the triangular ports on the passenger side need to be plugged, unless you have a 1987 or later 258 block. Those blocks were cast slightly wider than the older blocks. The last heads flow better at low lift/pm than the earlier heads even though they have the smallest ports. Though small, the ports have a much better shape than earlier models. The heads were developed specifically to deliver their best power in mid ranges -- 1500-3000 rpm -- where most driving is done. They start to fall off over 3500 rpm. They are really great street heads, arguably the best, but not good if you plan on drag racing and need power at 5000rpm (the small port head still makes power up to 5000, but the power curve starts to drop those last 1500 rpm).

Use the 4.0L or 258 pushrods in a 71 or later 232/258. If you have a pre 71 block you need to measure for what pushrods to use -- they are shorter. Someone on here has done it, don't recall what pushrods he used. It's on here somewhere...

Here's a good article on 4.0 changes. The 0331 head was used through end of production in 2006.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=661
The only thing to remember is that early 0331 heads were prone to cracking in the center, right between cylinders 3 and 4, on top between the valve springs. Chrysler fixed it, but didn't change the casting number. Instead, they cast TUPY (have no clue what it means) right over the weak spot on mid 2000+ heads. The cracking has only been reported for "early 2000 models" as far as I can find, but 88 models may be affected also. Might not though, could have been a running change that was changed back, or a faulty core...
Frank Swygert
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 7:16am
Thank you Frank, that is very helpful. I have an '82 VAM 282 which I think is the same as the 258 head. I was thinking of going to a Pull a part and taking a head with the exhaust manifold and valve cover. I guess I should use the pushrods and rockers from the 4.0 as well. Not surea bout that. I also want to use my original intake manifold. Is that the best thing or should I use the 4.0 manifold with a 2 barrel adapter? I run a Motorcraft 2100 carb.  I have never changed a head so please, answer as if you assume I am stupid.  The car is just a street car with no aspirations of racing.

Mitch
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 8:37am
I've been told the 2 bbl adapters don't work very well, that you're better off finding a 2 bbl intake. Just what I've heard. 
Gremmy Power!!!
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 2:20pm
I have the 2 barrel intake on my old head. 
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 10:29pm
Check your headbolt size on your engine before you spend millions of Pesos on a 4.0 headswap.
goul6891 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goul6891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 12:02am
1. If you have the 'bridged' rockers, the 4.0s are indentical. Keep them in matched sets, whether from the new engine, or old.
2. 4.0s were all efi, so the intakes don't accept a carb. You can re-work the 4.0 intake to bolt a carb on, or use one of the throttlebody-carb adapters available on ebay. On the older engines, both intake and exhaust ports were on the same centerline. The 4.0 exhaust is the same height, but the intake ports are about 1/2" higher. I took the route of using an offy carb'd manifold on my head swap. It required notching the dowel locations, making custom mounting 'washers', massaging the 4.0 exhaust header, and the power steering bracket won't line up now(since the intake sits higher).
3. There is a row of casting voids that need to be plugged, as the older blocks were narrower. Also, the 4.0 headbolt size got upgraded from 3/8" to 7/16", so the newer head has larger through holes. Hessco makes bushings, but you can do without them in my opinion.
On my engine the 258 pushrods were about 1/16" longer than I liked, the 4.0s were ok. (9.720" vs 9.641") The 7120 is regarded as the best casting, followed by the 0630, then the 0331(make sure its a TUPY).
The 4.0 was used for Cherokees ending in '01, Grand Cherokees in' 04, and the Wrangler in '06.

Edited by goul6891 - Jun/28/2017 at 12:17am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 6:37am
That last post is all good! To put the 258 intake on the 4.0L head, file the bottom of the two "ears" that normally go over the dowels so the top of the intake lines up with the top of the ports. The ears will sit on TOP of the dowels in the 4.0L head.

Some Jeep racers use the carb adapters and have had no issues. In general carb adapters aren't the best way to go because they can create a choke points and limit performance. All will eventually, but for street use they shouldn't be an issue. You will have to plug the injector ports in a 4.0L intake though. Since you have the 258 carb intake you may as well use it. You will need to make custom washers to clamp the intake and exhaust manifolds on. I used 1/8" thick, 1" wide bar stock cut in about 1" lengths, then filed/ground to fit each location.
Frank Swygert
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 7:14am
I am just getting more confused. First, I don't have a 258, I have a 282. I don't kn ow what difference that makes, but If someone knows, it would help. 

I have eliminated the option of using the 4.0 intake, so that is off the table.

How much better is the 4.0 head than the 282 VAM head?

Main reason for getting the 4.0 head would be cost, better materials, better valve cover, free header.

Both of the above posts seem to underestimate my lack of knowledge regarding engine work. I do not know what the word "notch" means, I don't know what "casting voids" are. 

Another question I had is whether I will need a head gasket from a 282 since it has a bigger bore or would the 4.0 or 258 one work.

Since a complete 4,0 head with manifolds push rods and valve cover would cost less than just getting an aluminum valve cover, I thought that would be the cost effective way doing things. Also, I don't know if my head is cracked or if it is just the gasket

Sorry for so many questions that may seem dumb to you, and maybe it will become obvious when I start removing stuff, but thanks for answering.

1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 4:02pm
No way all the head swap costs are going to be cheaper than a machine shop fee for surfacing .010 off the existing head. That costs about 35 dollars here. A rebuild might be cheap since I'd bet the guides and valves are ok. Sure you might notice a bit more power, but not enough for all the hassle you're about to inflict on yourself trying to figure this swap out without the skills to do so. Just getting the original off and back on sounds like enough challenge.

Just my observation based on what you've posted about your situation.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic