TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 head on a '83 258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

If the valve cover gasket price is too high wait untill he finds out how much a head gasket kit is.
A lot higher then a replacement valve cover.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 5:23pm
This has got out of hand! I know the OP originally said something about replacing the head to get the better VC. Taken directly that's absurd, as many pointed out. When he ads that he can get a head for $100 or less it becomes more of a viable option. A lot more work, but for $50 more and some time (a whole day/weekend instead of just a few hours) he can pull it off and the other benefits (better head and exhaust manifold) make the swap worthwhile. All depends on what he can get a usable head for.  I'm skeptical of the $50, but $100-150 for all he needs (head, VC, exhaust manifold) is within range of some of the pick-n-pull yards. Of course you get what you pull... You can pay a few more $ and get a "warranty" -- which means you can bring it back and get another, not your money back.
Frank Swygert
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 1:58am
hi,  Mr. Farna, i know you are a guru here, so i speak with some trepidation. Please forgive my impertinence. But, as great as 4.0 heads are, and they ARE GREAT, really, really,
 great! They are not the solution to EVERY problem, dilemma, or task at hand. A leaky valve cover problem, can be solved by, ahem, a better valve cover, no?
And sir, can you yourself, do a proper head swap for less than $150. Recipe?
will we need?: Fresh antifreeze, new headbolts, headbolt bushings, head gasket, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, manifold attaching hardware, new exhaust downpipe, a grinding wheel to "massage" some brackets into shape, a new PS belt? New water heater hoses? JB weld? PCV valve? Belt Idler? Spacers?, the tools to mate a 258 intake up to 242 head? grinder to create clearance for this on the dowels? 
I'm sure I missed a few parts, but, c'mon! sometimes keeping things simple is the way to go.
all due respect, gz
george z
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 4:01am
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

will we need?: Fresh antifreeze, new headbolts, headbolt bushings, head gasket, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, manifold attaching hardware, new exhaust downpipe, a grinding wheel to "massage" some brackets into shape, a new PS belt? New water heater hoses? JB weld? PCV valve? Belt Idler? Spacers?, the tools to mate a 258 intake up to 242 head? grinder to create clearance for this on the dowels?

I typically trace through steps before I actually do them. I've seen how little concentration I really had before jotting everything onto OneNote and it's a serious mess. This is part of the reason I decided to do a complete 4.0L replacement. The stock 258 head has three major dependencies on the block: The valve cover design, the intake/exhaust combination and the way the exhaust is angled and coupled. A SIMPLE 4.0 head swap requires the head, associated valve cover, dependent exhaust manifold and a modification to the 258 intake to plug the AIR injection portion and cutting into the molds for the dowel pins to properly seat the 258 intake.

Of course you're going to need fluids, JB weld, new head bolts, and a new gasket but why would any of that interfere with the front of the engine? The belt design is fine if it's v-belted and probably the same if it's serpentine.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 6:03am
George, just like anyone else, I sometimes stick my foot in my mouth... I can take being called out without being offended!! Unlike some...

You're 100% correct. The costs add up. Unless he gets a head/VC/exhaust for free I doubt he can do it for under $200... or more. We'll assume he has tools and such though. On the 258 you can reuse the head bolts. I know some will cringe, but it's okay for a low stressed engine. I've reused head bolts on stock engines many times. The later model (2000+) 4.0L may have "torque to yield" one-time use head bolts on it. I couldn't find a reference to TTY bolts for the 4.0L, and found some posts on the subject as late as 2003. The TSMs all seem to state that the head bolts are reusable once -- after that the factory recommends new bolts. That's not to say they may not still be "good", but as many pointed out, you can't see stretch or fine cracks, and the bolts COULD work loose, not hold torque as they should, or even break while in service. New head bolts are under $40 (http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-ES-71102-Cylinder-Head/dp/B000C2AHC2). For a stock rebuild I don't mind reusing head bolts, but it's rather cheap insurance to get new, especially if you have time to shop around a bit and order.
Frank Swygert
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 10:36am

Fresh antifreeze, new headbolts, headbolt bushings, head gaskegt, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, manifold attaching hardware, new exhaust downpipe, a grinding wheel to "massage" some brackets into shape, a new PS belt? New water heater hoses? JB weld? PCV valve? Belt Idler? Spacers?, the tools to mate a 258 intake up to 242 head? grinder to create clearance for this on the dowels?]

Fresh atifreeze- check. I keep so jugs of all the important fluids at the garage at all times. Just to make sure.

New head bolts,head bolt bushings, and head replacement gasket set. This I realized would add $100-150 to the job but for the price I can get the head set up,the swap is still looking to be aroud $200-250. And yes, I called the yard I can get everything I need for $50.

Manifold attaching hardware,exhaust down pipe. Should either be on my jeep or the one I'm taking everything off of. Tail pipe from the new jeep can just be welded into my existing exhaust.

Griding wheel and grinder-check. New power steering belt? Why? I already have the serpentine system so this shouldn't change. New heater hoses-check? Mine are brand new. I might need a new hose if the new head has different sized fittings maybe. Jb weld- of course I have that. I think anyone that works on cars ha a set of tubes somewhere. If they don't they're silly. Idler? Again why? Goes along with the PS pump bit. Spacers- washers? And grinder goes of course with the grinding wheel. I also have the proper torque wrench and assorted sockets and tools to do the head job.

Oh and no extra charge at this yard for insurance. They stand behind their parts. If they're bad, bring them back and get another one. If they run out of that part. They refund.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by raser13 raser13 wrote:

Fresh antifreeze, new headbolts, headbolt bushings, head gaskegt, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, manifold attaching hardware, new exhaust downpipe, a grinding wheel to "massage" some brackets into shape, a new PS belt? New water heater hoses? JB weld? PCV valve? Belt Idler? Spacers?, the tools to mate a 258 intake up to 242 head? grinder to create clearance for this on the dowels?]

Fresh atifreeze- check. I keep so jugs of all the important fluids at the garage at all times. Just to make sure.

New head bolts,head bolt bushings, and head replacement gasket set. This I realized would add $100-150 to the job but for the price I can get the head set up,the swap is still looking to be aroud $200-250. And yes, I called the yard I can get everything I need for $50.

Manifold attaching hardware,exhaust down pipe. Should either be on my jeep or the one I'm taking everything off of. Tail pipe from the new jeep can just be welded into my existing exhaust.

Griding wheel and grinder-check. New power steering belt? Why? I already have the serpentine system so this shouldn't change. New heater hoses-check? Mine are brand new. I might need a new hose if the new head has different sized fittings maybe. Jb weld- of course I have that. I think anyone that works on cars ha a set of tubes somewhere. If they don't they're silly. Idler? Again why? Goes along with the PS pump bit. Spacers- washers? And grinder goes of course with the grinding wheel. I also have the proper torque wrench and assorted sockets and tools to do the head job.

Oh and no extra charge at this yard for insurance. They stand behind their parts. If they're bad, bring them back and get another one. If they run out of that part. They refund.
when you get the head, make sure the valves are not recessed in the seats. and use a straight edge to make sure the head is flat.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 3:47pm
The post is not out of hand,it was just bad from the start.No person that lives in the real world will upgrade a plastic valve cover engine.AMC removed around 80 pounds from the engine and it has the small weak head bolts.If you want an engine for mpg or to get you from place to place it is ok.But for performance you need the early stronger and better made engines.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 4:57pm
The post title and the actual question don't quite match, but I can totally understand the dilemma between the swap and just fixing what's wrong. Depends on skill and money and overall objectives. I think we who have done the swap are pretty sold on the benefits but there's no way no know whether it means as much to someone who just wants to fix a leak! Sounds like he's up for the challenge and it will pay off without saving him any money whatsoever...

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic