TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 head on a 71 232

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71amchornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.0 head on a 71 232
    Posted: May/04/2018 at 9:21am
Does anyone know if a 4.0 head will fit on a 71 232? I'm looking for any ways to slightly modify my 232 without swapping it out, I already have a swap I want to do but I want to do a little to my 232 possibly.
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2018 at 11:38am
Yes, it will fit, but it will require you to plug some of the water jacket casting holes in the cylinder head. There are a number of posts on this subject if you do a search here. I have a 4.0 head on my 64 232, and am quite pleased with how it turned out.
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 10:40pm
Some questions...

Did you do anything to the 4.0 head... shave it? valve job? Valve springs?

Did you add an aftermarket cam?

Carb or EFI...?

Thanks in advance...
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day.'75 Hornet Hatchback
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 10:10am
I've not done the head swap yet to a spare 66 engine but considering it. A cam I think is needed because the stock one is pretty mild.

From what I am reading here there could be a difference in deck height between different vintage 232's so pushrod length would be a factor and some 232's have solid pushrods so they would need replacing. 

Someone was exploring the possibility of using Ford 2.3 L pistons which are .030" more than our std pistons and higher compression but have different pin dia's. I wonder if anything ever happened with that?  

Edited by vinny - May/16/2018 at 7:26pm
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 12:01am
I used 0.100" long sbc valves and springs. The valves are 0 .060" longer than the stock 4.0 valves. I had the spring seats on the head cut to accept the sbc springs. I put 0.060" shims under the rocker pedestals and used a 9.5" pushrod from a Ford 400m. 

Edited by ramblin64sw - May/17/2018 at 12:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic