TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

???4.0 Engine in 66 AMC Rebel ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccubbin05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ???4.0 Engine in 66 AMC Rebel ???
    Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 6:47pm
Hello I was wondering if anyone has any info or has put a jeep 4.0 in a 66 rebel with original 232 engine/3spd on tree trans. My questions are will a later 232-258 bell fit my 3spd transmission ? Also will I run into clutch/flywheel problems getting 4.0 to mate to my trans ?
mccubbin05 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccubbin05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 7:33pm
Sorry that I double post I did not mean to and cannot figure out how to delete one
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 8:22pm
I'm not sure about the bellhousing, but the crank flange on the 4.0 is the same. Pilot bushing bore is a little different on the 4.0 crank. If memory serves it is recessed into the crank a little deeper. You can use the late 232/258 flywheel and starter if the bellhousing bolts up.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 7:25am
Go to the post you want to delete and click on "post options". I believe there will be a "delete" selection if you are the original poster.

NO -- the bell housing won't bolt up. AMC changed the bell bolt pattern for the six cylinders in 1972 to match the V-8. Pre 72 sixes use a smaller diameter bell with a unique bolt pattern AND have the starter on the driver's side (starter was changed to passenger side in 72 also).

I think the 66 Rebel would have a T-14 transmission. You can use a 79-85 or so AMC/Jeep bell to put that trans behind a 4.0L. If by chance you have a T-96 don't bother, not near strong enough! The older T-84 or T-85 will work, but no synchro in first (don't down-shift to first with car moving). Those two will fit the same bell. The bell has 3-4 trans patterns drilled into it, including a T-5.

You will need to drill the bell for the CPS or use a CPS relocation kit (from HESCO, but pricey). It's not hard to mount the CPS, you just need to get the position from a 4.0L bell (measure over from the two nearest bell bolts, the CPS is between two). Depth has to be correct -- sensor should all but touch the flywheel, no more than 1/16" gap. I always push in until it touches then back off slightly. You will need to make some sort of bracket to hold the sensor in position. There are a couple examples in the 4.0L swap section.
Frank Swygert
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 12:12pm
The T-14 wasn't used until 1968. It likely has a T-96 which isn't going to last behind a 4.0 six. There was a heavy duty six transmission that was available but I don't recall what it was.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 12:29pm
Folks he's got another thread elsewhere in the forum that's been pretty popular - take a check on that one........... to prevent two discussions of the same thing.
mccubbin05 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccubbin05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 8:31am
Ok thank you guys for all the info, I tried deleting the other thread that I double posted, but it will not let me do to having a reply on it. If everything goes go I should have a 4.0 bought this week depending if you can make a later COP swap to Distributor. I will start building soon as possible. I will put pictures and share info I find along the way. I think I am going to keep the stock 3spd for now and see how it works out. I have a WC T5 and v8 I bought for the future. If it does not hold up. It will just be a driver nothing abused by no means. Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic