TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 crank in 232 block?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 1:01pm
Looks good! You made the manifolds? If so that's a GREAT job!!
Frank Swygert
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 8:41am
All but the welding, I don't have the gift. It has been a fun project. Here's a pic without the carbs.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 8:52am
Yeah, but you have the Bridgeport gift, it seems (or whatever you use to machine those parts)!! Aluminum is very tricky to weld because it has no plastic state (between solid and liquid where it will just get soft and easily bend or sag) -- it's either solid of liquid. I have welded it, but it's NOT pretty!! You have to move fast and have a TIG setup or MIG with a spool gun.
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 9:54pm
That intake is a work of art Thumbs Up Cool
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:16pm
Finally. The engine is in the car and running. It's been a long haul, but worth it.
64 232 block,
95 4.0 head and crankshaft
.040 over 305 pistons
230 inches

The throttle linkage still needs some fine tuning, but I am very impressed with the throttle response of the dual carter/webers. I picked them up from Langdons Stovebolts. Check out his web site, a lot of great info. Tom is a great guy to talk to, tremendous amount of knowledge and insight.

Modified water ports on the 4.0 head.

Mini starter. The stock starter had a small amount of interference at the header flange.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by ramblin64sw ramblin64sw wrote:

Yes, I was aware of that. Just haven't been able to locate one, and considering my options.

I have a pair of 232's, one of them I have a plan for, to install it in a T-bucket street rod, the other is a good running used engine with about 75,000 miles on it.  Other than some parts I need the basic long block is available in Phx Arizona.  The point is unfortunately used I-6 parts are worth more as scrap iron than functionally useful. 
I am getting ready to send my computer off for repairs and am loosing communications for a couple of weeks. I'll send a PM. It is from a 1976 car. I also have a 904 with it. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 12:42am
Looks sweet! I had a Chev 194 years ago that was close. (Clifford setup)
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 10:03am
We want to see videos when you get it on the road!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 4:19pm
A couple questions.
1. What pushrods did you end up using, and did you have to modify anything? Particularly interested in the LENGTH of the pushrods. You're the first I know who has done the 4.0L head on an early (short deck) 232.
2. What compression did you end up with? The flat top pistons should bring it up to near 10:1, but that's just a guess. Depends on how far the 305 pistons are down in the hole.
3. What application is that mini starter? I didn't think one was made specifically for the AMC six other than the 72+ models.
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 11:05am
I'm interested too.
I mocked up the 4.0L on a 69 232 and that is as far as I took that idea.
I came up with an 82 T4 so I changed it out to the whole 4.0L. Moving up in stages to what it is now.

I always wanted to drop an early engine with the small trans in a T-bucket type rig. There is or was supposed to be a 22 Nash in town in a garage that needs lots of work, but sounded interesting. I could not find it from my junk guys directions and before I could talk to him again he passed away.

Major bummer in all areas!

EDIT: I also pondered the thought of the 199 Crank in a 4.0L block, very short stroked, Big bore should be a pretty interesting little engine, something like a 218 cu in? Obviously a rather pointless exorcise in weirdness! Maybe slap a turbo on it and see what happens?

I'm known for my lack of activity, "I don't even own a garage you can call home and ask my wife"
Wait, no those a lyrics...

Really cool when things like this get built.

Edited by Wrambler - Sep/25/2014 at 11:15am
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic