TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 speed linkage...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 speed linkage...
    Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 2:13pm
What is everyone using for linkage for the BW T-10's?
The last one that I purchased, (a long time ago, in a far away land) the parts guy told me that Hurst quit making these and they were getting harder to find. That was back in late 80's early 90's. The ones that I have seen on Ebay are outrageous in price and they might as well be a million bucks.
Are people modifying an existing linkage? Making them from scratch (fabricating)or what?
I do have my original one and I did score a used on off of Ebay about a month or so ago. It is complete with linkage, but the shifter handle has been welded to the shifter mech. I purchased it just for the linkage and I think that I got a good deal on it. Less then 100 bucks.
Can I still get the small parts for these? IE, all the little bushings, clips and stuff.
Thanks in advance!
William Renshaw
Lowest elevation point in Idaho.. Lewiston
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 2:49pm
Hurst still makes the shifters, including some meant for the AMX and Javelin.  Check out their page for shifter components and see if they have what you need.
https://hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=64
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 3:33pm
Thanks...
Just sent them an email asking about linkage.
We will see what happens...
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 12:04pm
I was excited to see this link as I have been searching for a Hurst set-up too. Please pay attention to their note:

NOTE, does not replace factory shifter, will not fit factory linkage
Use with (NOT INCLUDED) matched Install kit 3734625
(we do not offer, long discontinued).

This is why I have not purchased one yet; without the mounting plate and hardware you will not be able to use it. If you have the plate, etc., this shifter would be great.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 1:28pm
So...
I take it that the "kit" that came with these was all the little bushings, clips, and the mounting plate?
Can you still buy the clips and bushings?
I sent them an email and I haven't heard anything back from them yet.
Just makes me wonder if I ever will... LOL!
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 4:10pm
Here are some pics of the one that I scored off of ebay about a month or so ago...

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/brtherb/media/001_zps2c0d8d68.jpg. - </a>

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/brtherb/media/002_zps927afba6.jpg. - </a>
Not sure if this is a part number or a serial number... ????
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/brtherb/media/006_zpsab8eb877.jpg. - </a>

This is supposed to be for AMC BW T-10, but the mounting plate looks a little different then from what I remember when I put the one in my Gremlin.
The linkage looks the same as I remember..
As you can see in this pic, the shifter handle has been welded to the shifter mech..

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/brtherb/media/005_zps13e370bc.jpg. - </a>

I haven't had time to do any research on this... yet.
So.. if anyone would be willing to check out that number, I'd have no problems with that.
Thanks!
W.

EDIT...
Went to the original Ebay add and the seller did state that this shifter came out of a 71 Javelin with a BW-T10. He stated that the shifter did hit the dash in 3rd. I find it strange that the welding does have chrome plating on it, as if it did come from the factory that way. But I don't know about that. I wouldn't think that AMC would purposely weld the shifter handle to the mech. But, who knows?
But for the price that I paid.. better then a stick in the eye!

Edited by BrotherBamc - Sep/26/2014 at 4:33pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 4:26pm
Clips & bushings are easy to find. My local parts store has them as well as Summit & Jeg's.

The serial # in your picture may be a date code. Somewhere on this site someone posted on how to decode it. Maybe in the member project section, Kirkwood's SC 360 thread???
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/brtherb/media/002_zps927afba6.jpg. - </a>

That plate in the upper right is what I was saying does not come with those kits offered in that link. I have noticed that those are very hard to find today.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2014 at 10:39am
There "used" to be a few on Ebay. They where kind of expensive if I remember right. Some where over 100 bucks...
BADJAV2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 7:22pm
HURST said they can rebuild shifter for $100.00 this was a year ago whether they do it now????
BADJAV2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic