TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4- speed ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4- speed ideas
    Posted: Sep/29/2013 at 11:57am
Swapping my auto to 4 speed. Buying a Quick Time scatter shield for a just in case situation. What 4 or 5 speed should I use behind my 390 any ideas this will be a street strip setup.
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
The Flying Clutchman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Flying Clutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2013 at 3:40pm
G-Force T5 or Astro A5. Smooth shifting, lightweight, and strong.
1969 BBO AMX
1970 Torino Squire
1971 Chevelle SS
1980 turbo Pinto wagon
RASelkirk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2013 at 7:47pm
A shop on Racingjunk.com advertises a fully built Astro box out the door for $2195, I think it's in CT...

Russ
'63 American 220 Sedan (under re-construction)
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 12:33pm

Robert, I switched my 68 AMX from a standard to automatic so my nephew could drive it. I have every single part to convert back the other way right down to the bolt, correct brake light switch and driveshafts for either an AMC 20 or Ford 9". The tranny is a 2.64 low T-10 with nickle gears and Hurst Comp Pluss shifter. The Flywheel/clutch is a 27# Advanced Clutch adjustable "soft lock" type unit that was modified and refreshed by Tim Hyatt. The Lakewood bell & blockplate are powder coated red and every piece is in excellent condition and ready to go. I could convert back to a stick shift in less than a day with these parts and go straight to the track. The clutch is needed to prevent driveline breakage and have a means to tune the car's launch. I used this exact setup to run 10.45 in my street/strip car.

Here's a 130 MPH pass and one of the last before converting to the TH400.

Edited by SKeown - Sep/30/2013 at 12:44pm
A0M797X112187 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A0M797X112187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

Robert, I switched my 68 AMX from a standard to automatic so my nephew could drive it. I have every single part to convert back the other way right down to the bolt, correct brake light switch and driveshafts for either an AMC 20 or Ford 9". The tranny is a 2.64 low T-10 with nickle gears and Hurst Comp Pluss shifter. The Flywheel/clutch is a 27# Advanced Clutch adjustable "soft lock" type unit that was modified and refreshed by Tim Hyatt. The Lakewood bell & blockplate are powder coated red and every piece is in excellent condition and ready to go. I could convert back to a stick shift in less than a day with these parts and go straight to the track. The clutch is needed to prevent driveline breakage and have a means to tune the car's launch. I used this exact setup to run 10.45 in my street/strip car.

What are you asking for all of these parts ?
-D Payne     AMO 2834 ( Expired )     NAMDRA 3770
Mytcar34 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 7:08pm
Steve my email is bjspivey@cebridge.net
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 9:02pm

I'm not sure I really want to part with the stuff, the dang clutches sell for $2400 alone and I had Liberty Gears make the nickle input gear in the correct AMC length so the shifter wouldn't be relocated. If my nephew showed more interest in driving I would likely consider something like $3200 for everything.

The clutch was reworked by Tim Hyatt to make it better suited for street/strip use by switching the aluminum pressure ring on the PP to steel and exchanging the flimsy levers for the much better "gold" levers from McLeod.

If someone was really interested in the complete conversion package I would then discuss it with Michael my nephew. Otherwise I will likely retire the car back to the std transmission. I'm kind of curious how it would perform with the stick now that the engine (carb) is clooser to being dialed in.

SKeown

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 9:24pm

I wanted to ask about your shifter and the offset in the arm bracket.

Since your car is a 68' and it would have had the early (non Hurst ) style shifter,is the offset there to bring the shifter up through the factory floor hump? I know that the hump is differeent for 69'.

The reason I ask is that I have one of those Hurst shifters that I acquired,and suspected that it was offset that way for the 68' style hump.

Thanks...

Rich C.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 10:19pm

The shifter was designed to fit the early AMX shifter location, maybe just the 68? I bought the car new and added the better Hurst shifter then, the car has under 17000 miles and was stored 28 of it's 45 year life.

SKeown

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2013 at 5:41am

The shifter was designed to fit the early AMX shifter location, maybe just the 68? I bought the car new and added the better Hurst shifter then, the car has under 17000 miles and was stored 28 of it's 45 year life.

SKeown

Thanks Steve...

That's kind of what I figured,but wanted to confirm.

Rich C.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic