TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 post lift hoist engine removal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 post lift hoist engine removal.
    Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 2:48pm
I don't know how many of you have a 4 post lift hoist, but if you do keep in mind the 4 post lift runways are usually a couple of inches wider than your AMC car engine and trans crossmember. If you center your car carefully, you can support the body, remove the front suspension, and drop the whole engine, trans with crossmembers attached out from under the car. In turn, you can replace them that way. It makes it a 1 man easy operation, and you won't touch or scratch the paint re-installing them from underneath the car. You can keep the engine/trans/crossmembers bolted together before installation/removal. I bought a hydraulic lift table to help facilitate this, but there are several methods you could use to do it. I'm also making a tool to draw the car down to compress the springs for removal, using the lift runways as an anchor point. Again, a 1 man operation. This is mostly useful during a restoration when suspension removal is needed. I had my 4 post lift a couple of years before i figured out you can do it this way. Hopefully this summer i will post pics demonstrating this.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 7:29pm
Id like to see this
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2014 at 4:34am
Did my 304/904 into Gremlin with my two post - easy ! (but had to take the
exhaust manifolds off)
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic