TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 piston calipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 piston calipers
    Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 1:36am
Hi folks, just wondering about  post I read earlier this week. As I understand you can buy copies of the bendix four piston calipers from advanced or rockauto. However, being new the bores are not sleeved with stainless steel and eventually would leak from the exposure to brake fluid. Isn't there a silicon based brake fluid? One that does not absorb moisture and corrode as bad? I was just wondering if that would be an alternative and keep the calipers from leaking if they were not sleeved. Thanks for any input.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 7:57am
Originally posted by 2javman 2javman wrote:

Isn't there a silicon based brake fluid? One that does not absorb moisture and corrode as bad? I was just wondering if that would be an alternative and keep the calipers from leaking if they were not sleeved. Thanks for any input.
DOT5 brake fluid is silicon based. Just a little pricey and some people claim they don't like the "feel" it gives to the brakes. On the up side it will not eat the paint if you should spill or leak any.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 8:05am
If you are replacing the whole hydraulic system, Master, calipers, wheel cylinders, AND are willing to flush some expensive new fluid through before filling, go with DOT5.

You can buy bottles of it at Advance Auto Parts. If you buy online, grab a 40%off  coupon and pick up in store. Then the 10 or 11 oz bottles are only $6 each.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 9:18am
   Dot 5 brake fluid is a popular choice when rebuilding. However, it does require a COMPLETE flushing of ALL components- including brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, calipers and pistons. It is silicone based and is not readily compatible with other traditional fluids. 
   Dot 5 has completely different characteristics including boiling point temps. The primary reason folks switch over is because it will not damage your paint if accidentally spilled.
  There has been much previous discussion here on the pros and cons. Recommend doing a forum search for prior posts. I'm sure that you will find a lot of helpful info.  Bruce

I was to slow on the draw- other posters got there first. X2 to what they said.

Edited by AMXTSY - Nov/21/2015 at 9:25am
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic