TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 Cylinder Fuel Pump Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Cylinder Fuel Pump Replacement
    Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 12:27pm
Hi all!
I have a 1982 Concord with the 4 cylinder engine and the fuel pump has gone bad and stopped doing its job. My first question is where is the thing? My Chilton’s manual gives me one drawing of it and I have no idea where it is at. Second, is it a fairly simple replacement? Any special things I need to know about? I know I’ve got this in the wrong forum, but I had no idea where else to put it! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, it needs a new driver side door handle, since that decided to break as well.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 12:38pm
You bring up a good point - now that 4 cyl AMCs are becoming more collectible, there really should be a section for them.

The motor you have is the GM sourced Iron Duke, so you should be in very good luck in getting parts for it, as there are plenty of them still in service in a broad range of GM products.

As for the door handle, that's a relatively easy one too - the Concord uses the same door handle as Gremlins and Hornets all the way back to 1970, and eagles through 1988, although there were minor finish changes over the years.  If you're not picky, junkyards are still a good source.  If it's only the return spring that's broken, those do pop up on ebay from time to time, and the usual AMC parts sources have them in stock, as well as paddles and complete handles.  The handles are handed, so you'll need to specify left or right side.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Gisulf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gisulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:27pm
Hi, Buzz. I believe that the Iron Duke engines have the fuel pump located in the fuel tank, but I'm at work and can't check.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 11:15am
All the EFI models do, but the carbed models have a block mounted pump. See this to replace it:
You won't need any special tools, it's just in a hard to get to place. Might be a little easier on the Concord since the 4x4 axle isn't in the way and the crossmember is different than the Eagle. Scroll down and read all the replies, a guy called "Happy Pappy" posts that it's not all that hard, but alternator has to come out to get to the fuel pump easily.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 2:38pm
Nothing on a Iron duke is easy to work on. Ive owned one and worked on them
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Nothing on a Iron duke is easy to work on. Ive owned one and worked on them

I had an Iron Duke Spirit as my daily driver for exactly one day.

Flames were literally shooting out from behind my rear bumper when I blew the engine.
(tow truck driver told me he saw me drive by "looking like the Space Shuttle" <-- his words)
Fire trucks and everything. Confused

Not a fan LOL

Edit:
Welcome to the OP,
not trying to sound negative, just putting out my short lived experience Dead

Edited by jpnjim - Jun/09/2018 at 6:07pm
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Gisulf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gisulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 6:21pm
I looked up the link that Frank posted. Holy heck, that's a lotta work. Good luck original poster!
jrbuzz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 8:38am
Sorry I haven’t responded! I’ve been working on a 1974 Super Beetle that is also in my garage not running. I’ll give it a go with the link provided (thanks!) and I’ll probably be back on here asking questions along the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic