TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 bbl carb kit for 6cyl ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 6:04pm
About a hundred years ago, I used the dual port Offy and dual exhaust Clifford headers on my then brand new 78 Concord 258 4 speed car.  I literally stuck a Carter AFB from a 4 speed 290 AMX on it and it really was plug and play.  It was my Wife's daily driver even in the winter.  I think the carter flowed like 390 CFM.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 6:39pm
In 1973 I put a 390 Holley, Offy dual-port on a 69 232,  used the stock cable, and the stock cable guide bolted right on two holes already on the Offy intake.

I didn't have worry about a transmission kick down cable,  mine was a straight stick.

It ran ok right off,  but it ran much better once I started experimenting with jet sizes and adjusting the accelerator pump stoke.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
STANIMAL View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

If your starter is on the passenger side, it is a easy change.

I would recommend a Edelbrock 500 carb, Air Cleaner, Edelbrock tune kit, Lockar carb bracket and kickdown cable, 1 inch carb spacer, fuel pressure regulator, new intake/exhaust gasket and you should be good to go.

All you need to fabricate is a fuel pressure regulator bracket. You can use your same exhaust manifold. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Thank for the combo list . Can I use a header off a Jeep , with this combo ? I also have a high output distributor for it . I assume thats a good combo ?   
americanjackie2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 8:53am
Ollie do you happen to have any pictures of your carburetor and intake setup it would be nice to look at.thanks
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by americanjackie2 americanjackie2 wrote:

Ollie do you happen to have any pictures of your carburetor and intake setup it would be nice to look at.thanks

Yes I do. You can see the whole setup in The Project Thread.

Even the headaches with the Clifford setup........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
STANIMAL View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Originally posted by americanjackie2 americanjackie2 wrote:

Yes I do. You can see the whole setup in The Project Thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/ollies-66-american-convertible_topic70568_page1. - http://theamcforum.com/forum/ollies-66-american-convertible_topic70568_page1.html

Even the headaches with the Clifford setup........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Do you know if the Jeep header will work ? 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 12:54pm
Yes they will, it may even be a Clifford. 

I have heard it said that some Jeep headers, made especially for Jeeps, that the collectors are to low and you have a ground clearance issue when you use them in a car. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 2:10pm
headman makes 2 sets for the 6 cylinder  single and dual outlet  by looking at the pictures the dual outlet has 3 tubes that go in front of the engine mount  the single all 6 go on the back side of the mount    i think that one would be best to try  just my 2 cents  hahahahahaha
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

STANIMAL View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 9:19pm
The header I have seems short on height . Looks like it will fit without any issues . I am going to start looking for a carb that will fit my Offy intake . 

Thanks to everyone helping out . i will keep you guys posted during the winter build months . 
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 10:06am
Excuse my intrusion... The carb issue, I'd be inclined to put either a Holley with Vac Secondaries or (of all things) a Carter Thermoquad. The thing I dont like about the Carter AFB/Edelbrock is the "weighted secondary.. Those carbs are set up for V-8s with a different air intake "pulse" that being said you may find a slight bog when the Secondary opens.. Meaning you will have to shave metal off the "valve"..
Go too far (and yes we all get greedy in tuning) you need to start over with a new "valve"

Holley has a "quick change" Vac. Secondary set up, you buy it in kit form, comes with a cover and different springs.... You can tailor your opening rates, that way....

Now the Thermoquad... It was a Spread bore 4bbl used by Chrysler for many years on thier V-8s.
Small Primaries, and beer can secondaries... Now the Secondary opening rate is adjustable by a special tool and a screw driver.... You run around on a primary side a tad smaller than the stock 2bbl,
and when you step on the loud pedal the beer cans open.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic