TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 barrel intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 barrel intake
    Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 1:20pm
why is the carb mounted sideways on the 4 barrel intakes ?  the 2 barrel is not so why is the 4 ?  just wondering 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 2:04pm
To flow evenly to the cylinders. The two bbl opens both at the exact same time and there's no difference between the two venturis in the two bbl and it sits centered in the middle of the intake so everything flows evenly all directions.
The four bbl has two pairs and the secondaries are a lot different - to have the primaries face forward would put the closer to 1, 2 and three while the back cylinders would be close to the secondaries giving half the engine exposure to the primaries and the back half exposure to the secondaries making it unbalanced - likely by a lot depending on the carburetor.
Trace the flow through each venturi to the cylinders and it's pretty plain why the 4 bbl sits as it does - so the front three cylinders get a primary and a secondary and the rear cylinders get a primary and a secondary. Yeah they mix and mingle SOME in the common center area but not enough because FUEL has MASS and thus inertia........ once moving in a direction it wants to keep moving in that direction. 

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 2:19pm
The early factory 2bbl intakes ( 64-80?) had the venturis mounted different than the 81? or later.

They're the same orientation as the 4 bbls.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

To flow evenly to the cylinders. The two bbl opens both at the exact same time and there's no difference between the two venturis in the two bbl and it sits centered in the middle of the intake so everything flows evenly all directions.
The four bbl has two pairs and the secondaries are a lot different - to have the primaries face forward would put the closer to 1, 2 and three while the back cylinders would be close to the secondaries giving half the engine exposure to the primaries and the back half exposure to the secondaries making it unbalanced - likely by a lot depending on the carburetor.
Trace the flow through each venturi to the cylinders and it's pretty plain why the 4 bbl sits as it does - so the front three cylinders get a primary and a secondary and the rear cylinders get a primary and a secondary. Yeah they mix and mingle SOME in the common center area but not enough because FUEL has MASS and thus inertia........ once moving in a direction it wants to keep moving in that direction. 

i have seen the carb mounted normal  how bad is that on the engine 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 6:50pm
Ok, very confused here,
The carburetor I have on my manifold is mounted front primaries and rear secondaries.
The left side primary and secondary feed cylinders 1,4,6,7 and the right primary and secondary feeds cylinders 2,3,5,8. There is a notch in the manifold between the primaries for balance.
Triple checked this. Primary holes are slightly smaller then the secondaries.
This is the X3195532C. I thought the casting number was X3195582C but the last 3 had painted over casting flash on further investigation, so the 3 looked like an 8, I'll update that post tomorrow with pictures and dimensions.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

Ok, very confused here,
The carburetor I have on my manifold is mounted front primaries and rear secondaries.
The left side primary and secondary feed cylinders 1,4,6,7 and the right primary and secondary feeds cylinders 2,3,5,8. There is a notch in the manifold between the primaries for balance.
Triple checked this. Primary holes are slightly smaller then the secondaries.
This is the X3195532C. I thought the casting number was X3195582C but the last 3 had painted over casting flash on further investigation, so the 3 looked like an 8, I'll update that post tomorrow with pictures and dimensions.

Lyle we are in the 6 cyl area - long long intake manifold and three cylinders ahead of the carb and three behind the carb......
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

The early factory 2bbl intakes ( 64-80?) had the venturis mounted different than the 81? or later.

They're the same orientation as the 4 bbls.

That was the case as I recall but again, that's a two bbl with the two venturis being the same unlike a four bbl.
But there's a reason the 4bbl intakes for 6s are made as they are.
I did put a two bbl intake on my 68 232
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 7:46pm
 I meant to say the early 2bbl intakes had the venturis in the same orientation as the aftermarket 4 bbl intakes.

And that's the way i've installed every 4bbl i've installed on 6 cylinders, 4 so far.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I meant to say the early 2bbl intakes had the venturis in the same orientation as the aftermarket 4 bbl intakes.

And that's the way i've installed every 4bbl i've installed on 6 cylinders, 4 so far.

Yes, so you install the four bbl sideways by his description which is the better way. Bowl to the side, throttle shafts running from front to back and not side to side.

Yeah but he's asking why are the 4bbls that way.  So I explained the reasoning.
The last version of the two bbl had the venturis side-by-side, left and right. The bowl to the front, one venturi on the left away from the engine and the other on the right closer to the engine.
So when sitting in the car, one on the left and one on the right.
The early intakes had the carb sitting so that one was to the front of the engine and the other to the rear of the engine. On a two bbl it matters almost not at all.

He's asking why the 4bbl intake has the carb mounted "sideways" instead of the same orientation as a carb on a V8

You installed the 4bbl "sideways" and not like the carb on a V8 by your own description - like the early two bbl intakes. 
He's asking why are the four bbl sideways.
I explained the reason - so the front cylinders are exposed to a primary and a secondary and the rear cylinders are exposed to a primary and a secondary.
To have a four bbl mounted on a six the same way as it is on a v8 would mean the primaries would be closer to the front three and the secondaries closer to the rear three cylinders.

A six is long and the manifold is long - the sideways 4bbl puts the primaries smack in the middle and the secondaries in the middle instead of primaries being closer to the front.
That's the answer to his original question.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 10:00pm
Sorry wrong thread.
Only true dual plane for a I6 I know of is the Offenhauser C. Primaries go through the top and secondaries on bottom right to the head. Carburetor mount front to back. All others are 90° as explained above. 
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/716717/fullsize/offenhauser-intake.jpg
Summit has these for AMC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic