TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3-Speed Manual - 1977 Sportabout 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 12:46am
It's a 150T and a very nice 3-speed manual. Improvements over the earlier AMC 3-speed transmissions are that the 150T is fully synchronized in all forward gears and has a wider spread of ratios. 2.99 first, 1.75 second, 1.00 third, 3.17 reverse. This allows it to be used with lower axle ratios to reduce highway engine RPM without compromising acceleration at lower speeds or clutch life.

A 150T with a 2.73 is very nice. I briefly drove a 1976 Hornet with a column-shifted 150T and a 232 I6 and I enjoyed it very much. That was the last year for a column shift manual. Everything went (barf) floor shift in 1977. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

It's a 150T and a very nice 3-speed manual. Improvements over the earlier AMC 3-speed transmissions are that the 150T is fully synchronized in all forward gears and has a wider spread of ratios. 2.99 first, 1.75 second, 1.00 third, 3.17 reverse. This allows it to be used with lower axle ratios to reduce highway engine RPM without compromising acceleration at lower speeds or clutch life.

A 150T with a 2.73 is very nice. I briefly drove a 1976 Hornet with a column-shifted 150T and a 232 I6 and I enjoyed it very much. That was the last year for a column shift manual. Everything went (barf) floor shift in 1977. 

The T14 is all synchronized as well..but as you say the 150 has a lower 1st and 2nd. I suspect people didnt want the 3 on the tree.. my observation is find a older Hornet and or Grem li in, most of them have automatics..... althrough my cars are standards except for the Rambler
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 2:16pm
In Jeeps the T14 3-sp came behind a Buick V6 or an AMC straight 6.  In Jeeps the T15 3-sp came behind the 304.  I believe a T14 would bolt up to a 304, but I wouldn't count on it staying there for long if you drive hard at all.  The T14 was probably not really that durable behind the V6 or the 258.

I have no idea what AMC did for transmissions except for Jeeps.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 3:04pm
Well the old T-90 or whatever it was used in the 1965 and 1966 Ramblers was not synchronized in low. 

So you learn to double clutch like a proper human being. LOL

I like synchronizing my own gears. I drive my Marlin's T-10 like a non synchro trans. Double clutch, rev match, downshift before you come to a stop. It makes the gears engage faster if you do the synchronizing yourself rather than ask the synchro clutches to do it. It made me a better driver and helped me get that car through the Sierra. 

Then again I learned to drive manual in a 1940 Plymouth pickup that was not synchro in any gears, so a fully synchronized trans feels like halfway to an automatic transmission. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Well the old T-90 or whatever it was used in the 1965 and 1966 Ramblers was not synchronized in low. 

So you learn to double clutch like a proper human being. LOL

I like synchronizing my own gears. I drive my Marlin's T-10 like a non synchro trans. Double clutch, rev match, downshift before you come to a stop. It makes the gears engage faster if you do the synchronizing yourself rather than ask the synchro clutches to do it. It made me a better driver and helped me get that car through the Sierra. 

Then again I learned to drive manual in a 1940 Plymouth pickup that was not synchro in any gears, so a fully synchronized trans feels like halfway to an automatic transmission. 

the T96 was still being used in 1972........so.. but only on the 6. The V8s were using T14s, and T15s...Id have to look again. But in 1971 the 360 used the T15.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 1:06am
ugh. T96. just thinking about them makes my stomache churn. i too don't (much) mind the lack of synchro, but the lack of teeth caused by excessive weakness (when pummeled by a "burly" (sic) 195.6 just makes me mad. i just scrapped one, i felt oK about it.

i have a T150 with Laycock deNormanville overdrive attached, in decent used by now ancient-so-core state (stored dry, still rotates and shifts fine), should anyone want to drive to Los Angeles to take it home with them. FREE NO MONEY. i even have the funny yoke for it. i'll never use it... also i have a nicely rebuild T14 with 5000? miles on it. CHEEP. even by Rambler-fan standards.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 5:26am
72 was the last year the T-96 was used, and it was a special AMC only "heavy duty" version (slightly larger input bearing and harder shaft and gears). Only used in the budget model Gremlins and Hornets. Some serious penny-pinching! All the other cars with six got the T-14.

The only problem with three speeds (stick or auto!) is that there aren't enough gears to make the motor real happy! That's why you build a torque motor for street use, wide torque band means you can better use a three or four speed. Five or six is better -- keeps the engine in the higher torque range more and makes it happier to do it's job.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 11:29pm
farna: > not enough gears

INDEED. a 5-speed behind a 195.6 feels like twice the engine. there's always a gear for whatever you want to do. night and day. it's not just "more gears", it's greater than the sum of its (hard metal) parts. tire-spin problems in 2nd and happy at 80 MPH.

i've learned that what makes a car drive "like an old car" -- the un-fun part -- isn't engine it's transmission.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

farna: > not enough gears

INDEED. a 5-speed behind a 195.6 feels like twice the engine. there's always a gear for whatever you want to do. night and day. it's not just "more gears", it's greater than the sum of its (hard metal) parts. tire-spin problems in 2nd and happy at 80 MPH.

i've learned that what makes a car drive "like an old car" -- the un-fun part -- isn't engine it's transmission.

this is why the T-5 is popular.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic