TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

390 ci suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllMotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2010 at 8:37am
Felt like I was cheating, Clap I like racing peoples engines not some laughing gas. Cheers!
BigBadJav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 11:33am
Whatever you do, don't do anything that might risk hurting it.  390's are too valuable to beat on, that's why I quit pounding on mine.  The last bare block i saw for sale went for over $1200, the crank sold for $900.

That's why I'm planning on taking the all-original  75,000 mile 390/M12 combo (that runs like a raped ape) out of my BBB jav, fogging it, and wrapping it in plastic, then replacing it with a 401/727 combo so I can actually DRIVE the thing without fear of blowing the mill up.
ASE Certified Auto Tech, 14 yrs. experience. If I can't fix it, it ain't Broke!
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 12:56pm
I hear ya!!  I am currently taking my 390 down a few notches because my right foot still can't behave itself.  I am really afraid of hurting it and It isn't so fun to drive when it's being cantankerous any how.  I'm gonna look for a Gremlin or Hornet and strip it out for drag racing and annoying the neighbours and make the Ambo a Cruiser with good mileage again.  Too valuable to break now and I've had it too long.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

mr. rumbler sr. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. rumbler sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2011 at 11:16am
Hi, was just looking at the pictures of your engine.  It looks great and sounds like you've done a lot of the right things to improve performace, but.... is that a points distributor? If so I would suggest that an ignition upgrade would be the next most benifical thing you could do.  We use a MSD digital 6 on our car and it works great.  If I missed a good electronic system please ignore all the above.
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2011 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by BigBadJav BigBadJav wrote:

Whatever you do, don't do anything that might risk hurting it.  390's are too valuable to beat on, that's why I quit pounding on mine.  The last bare block i saw for sale went for over $1200, the crank sold for $900.

That's why I'm planning on taking the all-original  75,000 mile 390/M12 combo (that runs like a raped ape) out of my BBB jav, fogging it, and wrapping it in plastic, then replacing it with a 401/727 combo so I can actually DRIVE the thing without fear of blowing the mill up.

I hope by me boring and stroking my to 390 a 426 is not hurting to much lol Approve
want to go fast... get an AMC!
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2011 at 11:46pm

Stock aluminum heads aren't all that much better than stock steel heads. Any headwork done or did you just bolt the shiny ones on?
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Stock aluminum heads aren't all that much better than stock steel heads. Any headwork done or did you just bolt the shiny ones on?

Dang i didnt know AMC had stock aluminum heads!?!? LOL I thought there were only aftermarker heads out for AMC?? lucky for me i had my heads ported!Approve
want to go fast... get an AMC!
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 9:07am
Want more power put it on a chassis dyno and tune it.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by ramblerman390 ramblerman390 wrote:

Dang i didnt know AMC had stock aluminum heads!?!? LOL I thought there were only aftermarker heads out for AMC?? lucky for me i had my heads ported!Approve
Stock as in shelf stock fresh out of the box. 
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Nashty401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nashty401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Have any real world data or flow charts to back up your statement?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic