TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 to FMX transmission Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:53pm
Do you know of a way to identify if the crankshaft is a 74?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Again, it's not an FMX. They are different (no matter what anyone says)
the FMX was Ford, the AMCs of that era used a cast iron Borg Warner. They are similar because of the fact Ford and BW developed together for a while then Ford went their own way - and made changes. I have those changes documented - showing the differences between the two.

An AMC Torqueflite will bolt right up to a 74 360. 
I say the same thing....but I wonder why I even try.
SC/Adam View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Again, it's not an FMX. They are different (no matter what anyone says)
the FMX was Ford, the AMCs of that era used a cast iron Borg Warner. They are similar because of the fact Ford and BW developed together for a while then Ford went their own way - and made changes. I have those changes documented - showing the differences between the two.

An AMC Torqueflite will bolt right up to a 74 360. 

Once I find out 100% that the my engine is a 1974 I'm going to pick up the Tourqueflite.  Then have some fun with the cross member and driveshaft Wink
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by SC/Adam SC/Adam wrote:

I have decided not to use the FMX/M11B as parts are hard to come by if something breaks, and now is the time to upgrade I guess.   
I pulled the valve covers on the 360 and identified it as 1974 (3220502) Assuming the heads have not been swapped and it is a 74 360 will the torque converter from a 727 still mount properly without modification?  The rear of the crank in has a lip on it towards the center, 
I have pictures but am not sure how to post them.  

Thanks again for any advice.

That sounds like the newer engine. Look at the pictures in this post http://theamcforum.com/forum/flex-plate-id_topic4832_page8.html and you'll see that the flex plates with the large hole are for a torqueflight and the one's with the small hole are for the BW. If your crank has a large lip to center the TF flexplate, then you're good to go with a 727 but be sure to check for a bushing in it to reduce the size and remove it if it has one. Good luck!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 9:04pm
pic of the 2 different styles of AMC crank flanges.
Yes, IF it was from a Jeep with a Turbo 400 Trans there IS a "Bushing" in the Crank Hole,
but it is a very thin "Bushing" or "Sleeve" or "Tolerance Ring" and hard to see if it's in there.
The OD of the "Pilot" on the front of the TH400 Converter is just a wee bit smaller OD than a TF727/904.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 5:31am
Most of the confusion between the FMX (and earlier Ford autos) and the Borg-Warner autos is that they use the same rebuild kit. They are that similar, but Ford used a different valve body and case - passages are different between the two. The rebuild kit has at least three different valve body gaskets to cover several different models of Ford and Borg-Warner autos -- gaskets are cheap! Some internals in the rotating assembly are interchangeable, and clutches and bands interchange. But not everything. The FMX has the fewest interchangeable parts. The first Ford/BW collaboration trans was called the FX by Ford (Ford-O-Matic in sales brochures, I think), the second was the MX (Cruise-O-Matic? might have FOM and COM swapped!). The FMX is a Ford design based on the best of the FX and MX -- that's why the FMX name. It was still covered under the license with BW and still shared some parts with the older Ford versions and BWs, but was the last Ford auto trans to do so.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Most of the confusion between the FMX (and earlier Ford autos) and the Borg-Warner autos is that they use the same rebuild kit. They are that similar, but Ford used a different valve body and case - passages are different between the two. The rebuild kit has at least three different valve body gaskets to cover several different models of Ford and Borg-Warner autos -- gaskets are cheap! Some internals in the rotating assembly are interchangeable, and clutches and bands interchange. But not everything. The FMX has the fewest interchangeable parts. The first Ford/BW collaboration trans was called the FX by Ford (Ford-O-Matic in sales brochures, I think), the second was the MX (Cruise-O-Matic? might have FOM and COM swapped!). The FMX is a Ford design based on the best of the FX and MX -- that's why the FMX name. It was still covered under the license with BW and still shared some parts with the older Ford versions and BWs, but was the last Ford auto trans to do so.
I worked in a transmission shop for 15 +.and the shop owner rebuilt both BW,and all of the Fords. When he ordered rebuild kits, they didnt say both . As for the fords, they were called M,MX FX, And FMX. Basically called cast iron fords and were built from 1951-80. Reason I know all this is because the shop owner was a Ford driver. Cruise-magic was just a name, until 1966. When you put it in drive, the started in 2nd. 1967 and later are called select shift. They start in 1st. You can swap a 67up valve body in to a pre66 transmission and it will be a selectshift. We did it all the time.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Apr/24/2018 at 9:19am
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 9:26am
The trans type is cast into the top of the case. It is possible that the trans is a M-12 from a 1973 Ford truck. They used the Borg/Warner for part of that year because of a strike at fords trans plant. The Ford Borg/Warners were the same as the AMC with the FMX pump housing and torque converter. Ford double drilled the mounting holes to use on their engines bells. They are very rare and I've only seen two. Both were built back to AMC spec.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

The trans type is cast into the top of the case. It is possible that the trans is a M-12 from a 1973 Ford truck. They used the Borg/Warner for part of that year because of a strike at fords trans plant. The Ford Borg/Warners were the same as the AMC with the FMX pump housing and torque converter. Ford double drilled the mounting holes to use on their engines bells. They are very rare and I've only seen two. Both were built back to AMC spec.
I worked on ALOT ot 1973 Fords. What engine was in these 73s? 99% have C6s.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 11:47am
Thanks PHAT for posting those. That's what a person trying to learn needs to see.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic