TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 to FMX transmission Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 to FMX transmission Help
    Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:17pm
Hello!  Im looking for some help as I am new the AMC world. 
I have a 1969 Rambler 2 door that I am attempting to repower with a 360.  The Rambler has a rebuilt AMX/FMX automatic transmission and I need some advice on how to marry the 360 to it. 

Parts I have.
1) AMC 360
2)AMX/FMX automatic transmission 
3) Flywheel for the 360 (Attached to the crank)

Parts I don't have
1) Tourque Converter
2) AMC Knowledge
3) Unknown Smile

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 1:07pm
No. Absolutely not. You NEED the torque converter for this setup, which is the only reason this setup even exists. I was hosed by this combination so bad that it took me well over a month to identify the transmission. The internals are definitely FMX but the exterior is a double drilled Cruise cast iron Ford case with proper alignment for a AMC 360+Borg Warner bell housing. The giganto mission critical torque converter is already extremely rare and if you don't have it, good luck finding a used one that won't give you trouble. I lucked out in this part but my pan is junk. I would advise against the swap entirely since the pump also appears to be borrowed from whatever Borg Warner assembly was original to the 304/360 engine. The type of skill necessary to make this swap even possible is nightmarish at best and requires intimate knowledge of the factory AMC engine, factory Borg Warner transmission, evolution of the Ford Cruiseomatic and the FMX. You are not ready. I wasn't either but you are not going anywhere with this. Ouch
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
SC/Adam View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 1:44pm
Thank you I appreciate the advice and am going to explore another transmission.  With that being said...I have access to a good 727 but was told it may be a very tight fit in the Rambler.  I curious to hear if anyone has put a 360/727 combo in a 69 Rambler.  Or if anyone has advice on what transmission would be the best fit?  
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 2:03pm
What year is your 360? I just pulled a 727 out of a rouge, The fit was tight but it fit.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
SC/Adam View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 2:31pm
Thanks that's good to know!  The 360 has no tag on the valve cover, its block stamp (3195528)  indicates its a 70 and up.  What engine was attached to your 727?  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 5:22pm
1971+ block. So it has the AMC Torque Flite bolt pattern. That's good!
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 5:38pm
FMX is a Fotd transmission. The transmission that was on a 70-71 360 is a Borg Warner M11B.... a 727 will not fit a 70-71 360 because of the crankshaft flange. Look at the sticky above. And the FMX and the BW M11 look somewhat similar but many internals are not the same, and dont let anyone tell you different
SC/Adam View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC/Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:28pm
I have decided not to use the FMX/M11B as parts are hard to come by if something breaks, and now is the time to upgrade I guess.   
I pulled the valve covers on the 360 and identified it as 1974 (3220502) Assuming the heads have not been swapped and it is a 74 360 will the torque converter from a 727 still mount properly without modification?  The rear of the crank in has a lip on it towards the center, 
I have pictures but am not sure how to post them.  

Thanks again for any advice.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by SC/Adam SC/Adam wrote:

I have decided not to use the FMX/M11B as parts are hard to come by if something breaks, and now is the time to upgrade I guess.   
I pulled the valve covers on the 360 and identified it as 1974 (3220502) Assuming the heads have not been swapped and it is a 74 360 will the torque converter from a 727 still mount properly without modification?  The rear of the crank in has a lip on it towards the center, 
I have pictures but am not sure how to post them.  

Thanks again for any advice.

If the crankshaft is a 1974, the 727 will bolt right up. But check to make sure it didnt come out of a Jeep. Jeeps used TH400s, and they use a bushing. In the crank hole. If it has the bushing, remove it for the 727. The 1970-71 crankshaft has a flat flange and a small hole

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Apr/23/2018 at 6:51pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:52pm
Again, it's not an FMX. They are different (no matter what anyone says)
the FMX was Ford, the AMCs of that era used a cast iron Borg Warner. They are similar because of the fact Ford and BW developed together for a while then Ford went their own way - and made changes. I have those changes documented - showing the differences between the two.

An AMC Torqueflite will bolt right up to a 74 360. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic