TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 to 904

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 to 904
    Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 12:15pm
Will a 904 hold up to a 360 with this kit?

The 360 have a little cam and fresh heads.

Upgrades:
1.These heads have been modernized with bronze guides which have been custom fitted to be perfectly perpendicular to the seats. They have also been sized properly to the valve stems.

2. The factory umbrella type valve "seals" are archaic and allow vacuum loss around the intake valve stems. These heads have been machined to accept modern positive seals which greatly reduce vacuum loss and give measurably better vacuum at idle. If you have EFI, this makes tuning much easier and idle quality improves with EFI or carb.

3. Stainless alloy valves - much more durable than stock. The intake valve backcut also flows better than the stock units.

4. Edelbrock valve springs - pressures verified and pockets set to be equal on all valves.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 7:53pm
They use 904's in NHRA/ IHRA Super Stockers with 800-900 HP 426 Hemi's in front of them. A 904 will most certainly hold up for your 360.

Tom
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 8:13pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 8:47pm
Those Super Stock drag cars have HIGHLY MODIFIED 904s in them, not just a shift kit! The 904 will hold up behind a mild 360 in a cruiser. I wouldn't horse around with it a lot. Run a shift improver kit, something like a towing kit, and run an external cooler after the radiator cooler (in return line).

I took a look at the Summit description of the kit. Sounds like what I'd recommend.
"Performance Automatic Pro Max performance kits feature a handpicked overhaul kit with high performance clutches and bands, a valve body shift improvement package, racing-type clutch plates, and various servos, valves, sprags, and washers to make them the best kits you can buy."

I'm not a trans guy, but I'd suggest you use the bolt-in sprag as Mopar_guy suggests... he appears to be very familiar with the Chrysler trannys. If the link doesn't work right cut everything after ".com" and you will go to the main page, easy to find from there. If didn't work for me, but when I went to the page manually I got the same link.

Here's an article explaining why the bolt-in sprag is recommended:

Edited by farna - Aug/05/2018 at 8:51pm
Frank Swygert
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 11:18pm
Thabx.. i realy need help to find the rigjht parts for the trans. This helps alot
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 12:02am
Pretty sure there are work arounds but there are some 904 Pump Drive Concerns / Issues iirc...
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 5:46am
There is nothing to be gained with a bolt in sprag in a 904. It is already riveted in..its not a 727
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 7:32am
Got a 727 on hand.. that needs rebuilding.. wat is a fair price?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

There is nothing to be gained with a bolt in sprag in a 904. It is already riveted in..its not a 727
Yes.....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 6:08am
At the beginning of the HR article they seem to indicate that both the 904 and 727 use a pressed in sprag, but it's not the most detailed article -- I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about! Saw it mentioned in another article while I was looking for something else... 727 pump in 904 trans. Seems I have heard of that, but can't find anything on it. Did find some modified pump bodies. Maybe it's a 998/999 front pump in a 904? can't find anything on that either... so maybe the modified pump body is the way to go? http://www.aandatrans.com/Products/904-Modified-Front-Pump-Support-(1978-Up)__12781L.aspx

I'm learning here guys, not trying to make things difficult!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic