TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 6:30am
So there were some consequences of the last head porting exercise:

After about a week of suffering, I finally succumbed and went to the doctor and got the offending object dug out of my eye, the eye patch is largely for dramatic effect and so that you don't poke something else in your eye until the local anesthetic wears off. 

On with proper safety glasses this week, rather that having my prescription classes propped up on top of my head:

Anyway, enough of photos that would scare small children, time to crack on with the other head:

Pretty much a repeat of the first one, although it went a bit quicker since I had sorted out the cutting tools and approach. Still took all day though, so here are a few composite photos trying to show before and after views.

Intake:

Exhaust:

All up I think it's ok for a first attempt at this sort of stuff. Could do more, but this will do for now.

I'm not sure if back cutting the intake valves at home is a good idea, but had a crack at it anyway:

Exhaust valves just copped a clean up:

Lined up ready for assembly:

Edited by WesternRed - Sep/23/2018 at 6:40am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:38am
Nice blending (sorry about your eye)

in the center pic here:

did you consider extending the dog leg deeper towards the bowl (towards the valve)?

Any idea:

if theres enough material here to do that?
 if theres any benefit to doing that?

I'm cleaning up a set of Edelbrock heads right now and it seems like there is material there to extend the dog leg cut deeper towards the valve,
just wondering if thats a giant no-no or not.

Nice work and nice pics tho,
thanks for posting Clap
I hope some of the resident experts jump in here with opinions,
since good info can be tough to nail down in this one area.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:51am
My experience with the dog leg is that the short turn is the biggest factor in getting air out of the runner

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:18am
I certainly didn't want to go crazy since I really have no idea what I'm doing and no way to measure the outcome, so mostly just blending things in and smoothing them off.

Could have probably done more in the intakes around the valve guide boss. New valves and a decent valve seat job would probably do wonders too from what I understand.

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 4:36pm
What you did will pick up the flow for sure. 

I am just saying, until the short turn is right the exhaust will flow 10-15 numbers less 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:08pm
Cool, that’s where experience counts.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 5:17pm
Anyway, moving right along with some cylinder head reassembly, clamp her down to the bench and install the valve stem seals:

Out with the trusty valve spring compressor, it's definitely been a worthwhile investment:

Bit of live action:

Done:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:48pm
Slap the head gasket down:

Drop the head on and crack out the torque wrench, final round at 110 ft/lbs shown:

Bolt some rockers on:

Quick trip to the auto shop:

Bash them in:

Edited by WesternRed - Sep/24/2018 at 8:52pm
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 7:15am
Darren...

I have thought a lot about building this exact engine with 090 heads. 

What is your final comp ratio again? I can't remember what it was... there's been a few different threads. 

I remember you are using the 58cc 993 heads, stock rods and the press fit Falcon Global pistons.... but that is all I can remember!  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:04am
Pretty much bang on 10.5:1, I didn't cc the heads, but I think everything else is accurate/measured, 993 heads, falcon global flat tops, resized stock rods.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic