TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 2:23am
That's the plan, somewhere in the 12's would be good. I have a light car (Gremlin), 4.10 gears and hopefully a good converter when I'm done. Converter is probably going to cost more than the motor.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 3:57am
Angle mill the heads and run the pistons you have with a re ring for cheapest compression boost option
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 4:46am
I like your idea, but it sounds a bit complicated, wouldn't you have to mill several things to get everything to bolt back together properly. A set set of flat top pistons seems a lot easier, thinner head gaskets and some early small chamber heads would get me a bit mor if needed. I'm a bit scared of machine shops, they are pretty expensive places to deal with in my part of Australia.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 4:57am
When you angle mill the intake mounting gets corrected as well as head bolt holes and head bolt seating surfaces. 

If done right it should all bolt togeter as it was
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:44pm
A small amount of progress has been made:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 6:28am
Falcon Global pistons have arrived, I've started a fresh thread with details here:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 6:39am
Things are starting to come together, picked up a pile of parts from the machine shop recently:

Shoestring budget allowed for the following:
Quick hone of the bores, piston to bore clearance is not going to be ideal and will be in the 0.004"-0.005" range, but hopefully ok for the intended use 
Supply and fit new cam bearings including test fitting the cam and fixing the bearings so that it turns freely
Fit ARP bolts to factory rods and resize
Press fit pistons
Linishing the crank
Also had my Torker intake refaced to correct corrosion issues and some surface damage that had shown up when I tried to use it previously

I did lash out and have the assembly balanced, probably a good move I'd suggest.

Then it was onto the cleaning process, I didn't have the block hot tanked, so had to break out the trusty screwdriver instead:

Did a bit of gasket matching on the oil supply side of things as well as cleaning up the casting flash on the oil return holes in the valley:

Followed by a lot more scrubbing and cleaning before finally bagging it up ready to start putting bits back in soon:

Edited by WesternRed - Aug/06/2018 at 6:42am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 5:42pm
Made a start on assembly, crank installed:

Got 7 pistons in their holes:

Only 7 because I had a bit of a disaster and broke one of the rings:

Looks like I'm going to have to buy another full set, haven't had any luck finding individual rings so far. Think I will even lash out and spend $6 on a proper piston ring installing tool this time.

The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 8:18am
You were right to break out the screwdriver to get the crud out of the cooling passages.The hot tank won't even get that stuff out.
Just remember that proper cam bearing tolerances are crucial for good oil pressure.
Don't forget to check to see that your main bearing oil passages are fully drilled all the way into the lifter oil galley.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 4:24pm
Last engine I built, I had hot tanked and still dug a cup full of crap out from around the rear cylinders, probably a good reason for adding the extra core plugs at the back of the later blocks.

Machine shop mentioned that it was typical manufacturing process back in the day to install the cam bearings and then align hone them before installing the cam, both AMC engines I've build needed that.

Oil passages are good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic