TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 6:13am
I would be looking for the 4 bbl piston Bill, those NOS ones would be nice.

For as far as pulling one of the heads, looks ok I think.

Head gasket looks to be Felpro based on the part number, so the heads have at least been off before.

Pistons look pretty nice and appear to be OEM factory type:

Oil is from having the engine upside down on the stand for a few days, but otherwise they are pretty clean:

Bores seem to be in pretty amazing shape for an engine that is nearly 50 years old. Measurements mostly in the range 4.0800"-4.0805", little bit of wear at the top of the cylinders, worst spot I could find was 4.082", so still within factory specs.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 1:50pm
If you go the Egge Rambler 343 Piston route, I came across this old 2007 info on my pc...

-> As a side note, your existing Egge Rambler AMC Cast 2V & 4V 343 Pistons
-> contact the Crankshaft Counterweights when used with a 3.44 stroke
-> AMC 304/360 CrankShaft and require being relieved in the flat area
-> below the pin holes on both side to a distance of 1.420 max.

And here is someone else's picture of Egge 343 slugs in a 360 block...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/05/2018 at 2:04pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 5:52pm
Looks good. Found an old thread on the Bulltear forum about the clearance issue, but can't see the pictures:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 9:14pm
Found some info from SC397 on the IFSJA forum about the piston clearance issues with the Badger pistons:

Extra rib on the badger piston hits the crank throw:

Not sure how that applies to others like Egge and Falcon Global?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 12:15pm
Hah, I've been busted by Google ! pretty wild... PaintedRat did that BBG Green Engine...
Boy, that old BullTear thread, bummer no pictures anymore, the green engine pic is from that thread.
Try as hard as we can but info and dimensions get incorrectly reported or typed, or changed...
Forums and members absolutely help to get things ironed out and more correct, imho.
I saved some of the pictures in that thread, and read the text, unsure now of actual Egge specs.
Egge 343 Slugs maybe ended up at 1.570 Comp Ht, 4cc Flat Top 4V, 14cc 2V ?
A couple more of the pictures from that old thread, Blue "X" shows material removal.
Wonder if PaintedRat is still around, or how his Green AMC 343/360 Engine turned out ?

SC/397 has a lot of 343 slug 360 info and pictures in that ifsja thread you mentioned WesternRed:

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/07/2018 at 12:37pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 6:22pm
So some pistons are on the way from Falcon Global, have to assume they are probably sourced from Egge unless there is somebody else out there making them. At least I know where to look and possibly grind when they get here in a couple of weeks. Will measure what I can and post up the findings.

Onto bearings, seems I have the following options:

Rods    
Clevite AL series bi-metal $40
Sealed Power CP tri-metal $43
Kings SI series bi-metal    $30

Mains
Clevite P series tri-metal  $96
King AM series bi-metal   $50
Sealed Power tri-metal    $74

Not sure what the best choice is for a budget build that will get constantly thrashed and maybe not have the crank is perfect condition to start with since this is a freshen up rather than a complete rebuild. Thoughts?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 9:08pm
Decision has been made, found some Clevite tri-metal mains on Aussie eBay really cheap, had a couple of wins there lately and going with the Sealed Power tri-metal on the rods. 

Australia is having a significant change to our tax laws at the end of June, where overseas vendors will be required to collect GST (sales tax) and remit it to the Australian Government. Basically need to get a big order in now, because it looks like a lot of vendors will put this in the too hard basket and simply stop selling to Australia, not good.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 11:23pm
Going to do anything with Cam Bearings?  or measure all the Lifter Bores and Lifters?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 11:33pm
Probably not, I will at least have a look at the cam bearings to make sure they are ok and can change them if there are any issues. Doing anything with lifter bores is not within the realms of a budget build, so probably best not to know.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 2:00am
A good thing probably, apparently from some posts, getting "good" AMC Cam Bearings is next to impossible nowadays.  I'd imagine you're anxious to get the new goodies and get it all back together with minimum cost but more compression.  My "low cost" 343/360 build ran/runs 12.6 or 12.8 with 3.73 Gears.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic