TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 ID NUMBERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 6:38pm
FYI....
This is the casting number on the original 360 engine block, in the wife's 1974 Javelin....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:23pm
I pretty much read this entire post and I do realize it's an old post but seams that nobody has ever mentioned that every AMC 3rd generation V8 has the last number off the year cast into the block in many locations. Not stamped but cast. passenger side off the block between the rear most core/freeze plugs and also in the valley area. I'll post the pics that I have. All the engines I have coincide with the year of the vehicle and tags numbers so I very much doubt that it's just a coincidence.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 9:10am
THIS IS A 360 OUT OF A 75 WAGGY
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

I pretty much read this entire post and I do realize it's an old post but seams that nobody has ever mentioned that every AMC 3rd generation V8 has the last number off the year cast into the block in many locations. Not stamped but cast. passenger side off the block between the rear most core/freeze plugs and also in the valley area. I'll post the pics that I have. All the engines I have coincide with the year of the vehicle and tags numbers so I very much doubt that it's just a coincidence.

Thanks!

I don't know why I never put this together, but it seems to check out:

401 on my engine stand out of 73 or 74 AMX = 4
unknown 360 tucked away = 4

I couldn't find the numbers on a gunked up 72 360 here, but I'll check the rest when I can
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 11:23am
As mentioned earlier in this thread, there should be a number for the year of the engine block's casting in the valley. That will be the year since they started casting that particular displacement. My 1970 390 has a 2 there, for 1969, 2nd year of 390 production. There is also a Julian calendar date there as well, which is 3 digits and gives the day of the year it was cast. Mine checks out as engine block casting of August 1st, August 15th for both heads, and the valve cover tag says August 25th, all in 1969. 

Since they started casting 360's in the summer of 1969, I would expect a 71 or 72 engine to have a 2 or a 3 there, respectively. Note, this number is the year CAST in relation to the start of production of that engine, not the model year of the car it went into. My 1970 390 definitely was not cast in either 1962 or 1972, for obvious reasons. 

It is a cumbersome system for sure, but contrary to myth it is very possible to determine the date of an AMC V8. You can not match it definitively to the exact chassis, but you can do everything but.

Chris  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic