TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 for my wagon Cam and lifters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 for my wagon Cam and lifters
    Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 12:22pm
Bought a 360 from a 73 javlin to use in my matador wagon.

I want to rebuild it this winter and i am looking for parts.
Is this cam/lifter kit a good way to go?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172194758781

Will use stock heads but a edelbrock intake.

Looking for a fun car to drive but nothing crazy.
Never built an engine before.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 12:59pm
Just my opinion...sounds like a lot of money not knowing who made the parts....I did use that grind in a Chevy 360 with 9:1 compression...nice bottom end power but the car also has 3.73 gears a lower 1st gear and an over drive also weigh`s 2700 lbs....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Just my opinion...sounds like a lot of money not knowing who made the parts....I did use that grind in a Chevy 360 with 9:1 compression...nice bottom end power but the car also has 3.73 gears a lower 1st gear and an over drive also weigh`s 2700 lbs....

Got sugestions for somthing else?
I don't know the gear ratio in the axle
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 1:38pm
Same cam as the Summit 8600. It's the smaller of their two cams.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 3:04pm
Just buy the summit cam
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 3:31pm
If you have never built an AMC engine before, you REALLY need to get a book like "BJ Builds An AMC".

http://theamcforum.com/forum/bj-builds-an-amc-book-still-available_topic55271.html

In the matter of full disclosure, I've rebuilt Mopar, GM, and Ford engines but I too have my first AMC to go through.  There seems to be a number of details with an AMC 2nd Generation V8 like the timing set, distributor drive gears, bearing clearances, and oil system considerations that seem to trap a novice and result in a disappointing project.  I'm not trying to dishearten you or talk you out of anything, just commenting that you should really do some reading before you jump into it.

As to the eBay offering, I'd be leery of it.  I asked a question once about the value of kits and the consensus seemed to be that buying individual parts gave you better control of the finished product albeit with a slight pricing disadvantage.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 4:47am
Will look into that book.
Thanx
I need to pay shipping and import tax on everything i order, that's why i look for kits,shipping from USA to Norway is expencive
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 7:02am
You should team up with some other guys in Norway, they order stuff together and share the shipping costs.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 6:50pm
Got my engine home today, and i orderd a cam and timing gear
2132 edelbrock is on the way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic