TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 dead cylinder troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolittlebroncos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2019 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

That many miles? Those issues? Cmon. Rebuild time. 

Yeah, that's the reality. It's a tough spot with this vehicle. I really enjoy driving it. But I'm not sure I'm the one that's going to save it. Probably going to have to move it on to someone else. I'll do the leak down test and see what I can figure out. I was optimistic that I might be able to do a shade tree repair and get it back to 8 cylinders. But to your point, that's probably a short-term fix at best. 

tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2019 at 5:51pm
Further to the above advice. 
If you get no significant indication of bad intake valve seal, exhaust valve seal or piston ring seal, that's when you suspect bad lobe on the camshaft not providing enough lift to fill the cylinder.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2019 at 6:00pm
Can a AMC V8 head be removed or changed without removing the intake? I know on SBC engines it can be done.

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Sep/21/2019 at 6:02pm
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2019 at 8:52pm
Never tried pulling a head without the intake first ???????? Dont cheap out on an intake gasket set ?

You can pull the valve covers and roll the engine over looking for valve lift or valve train failure.....thats pretty simple and straight forward.

More than likely it is a problem typical of any overhead valve engine....no matter what brand.

Piston/cylinder wall and rings worn out or burnt valve valve/seats/guides ???

It's time for a rebuild.......same as any domestic v8 engine.

Nothing different for an AMC V8 as compared to anything else.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Sep/21/2019 at 9:00pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2019 at 7:00am
Keep your hands off it and flog it, to make it someone else's problem or give it away to the kidney foundation. Otherwise be prepared to spend $1000 for a cheap overhaul and stay greasy for quite awhile, to say nothing of the wife problems that will arise and the wasted time where you could have been doing something more productive. I am of course just peaking from experience. 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2019 at 3:38pm
A possible low cost $200-ish "repair" or "buy time" option maybe ?...

twolittlebroncos View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolittlebroncos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

A possible low cost $200-ish "repair" or "buy time" option maybe ?...

https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/d/ontario-304-amc-v8/6945287584. - https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/d/ontario-304-amc-v8/6945287584.html

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that ad and considered the same thing. Figured that might just be a different engine with different problems. 

Hoping to do the cylinder pressure test in the next week or so (waiting on a friend that has the gauge and some converted spark plugs). I'll start with that and go from there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic