TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Compression Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 11:50am
Thanks for the offer Dan.

Matt's going to have to decide what he wants to do. He has liked having a survivor - and once you start fixing things, it opens the door to making mods. He's going to have to decide what he wants to do in that regard.

Indeed, we won't know what's going on until it gets opened up. My feeling is it's better to fix what needs to be fixed while it's open, and not put that stuff off, but it's his car and he's going to have to balance off cost against desires

Oh, the tough lessons of having an old car....we've all been there.

It actually runs pretty good for having two bum cylinders.

So Steve - you ready to have a 16 year old hanging around the place?
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 9:52am
You know how ignorance is bliss?

This is what we found on the inside...and LOTS of sludge and carbon chunks.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 10:17am
Well it appears that the 4 and 8 holes have really bad ring seal, you can see how the oil has cleaned the edges of the pistons. Did you remove the lifters in order that they go because you cannot put them back in now if they are in a pile. You are looking at an overhaul at the minimum.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 10:38am
I came home from giving an exam to find this in the garage....Matt's pretty careful. He put each lifter into its own labled plastic bag.

4 is really nasty - it's the one with the lowest compression - so that's no surprise.  8 wasn't much better. The lifters were pretty worn, too. It's pretty amazing how well the engine was running considering the rotten stuff inside.  I've never seen so much carbon.

69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 10:41am
Yuck!!!!!!

I would pull it and tack the block and have it tanked.  I can get a smokin' deal on an overhaul kit for you and I know a really excellent machine shop in Prescott.  If the cylinders are in good shape you could get by with just a re-ring style overhaul for pretty cheap.  Like I said, I would be willing to help all I can.  The pistons may be reusable after a good clean up and inspection.  At 100,000 miles the high nickel block should still be perfectly usable after a good clean up and hone job.  P.M. me and I will give you my phone if you want to discuss it.  I have some work I need done also so maybe we could get a quantity discount.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 10:43am
PM sent
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 10:45am
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Yuck!!!!!!

I would pull it and tack the block and have it tanked.  I can get a smokin' deal on an overhaul kit for you and I know a really excellent machine shop in Prescott.  If the cylinders are in good shape you could get by with just a re-ring style overhaul for pretty cheap.  Like I said, I would be willing to help all I can.  The pistons may be reusable after a good clean up and inspection.  At 100,000 miles the high nickel block should still be perfectly usable after a good clean up and hone job.  P.M. me and I will give you my phone if you want to discuss it.  I have some work I need done also so maybe we could get a quantity discount.
Then you have not pulled apart enough old engines LOL I have had some that filled the lifter area with sludge where the pushrods were poking out of the sludge and everything else was hidden.

I have a flathead ferd right now that the entire inside has about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sludge covering it.Dead
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 11:06am
"Then you have not pulled apart enough old engines"

Definitely true in my case - remember, getting into the greasy end of the car hobby is a relatively new thing for me - call it my midlife crisis...or early senility.LOL
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Yuck!!!!!!

Then you have not pulled apart enough old engines LOL I have had some that filled the lifter area with sludge where the pushrods were poking out of the sludge and everything else was hidden.

I have a flathead ferd right now that the entire inside has about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sludge covering it.Dead

I was just agreeing with her.  I have seen late model fords where you could remove the valve covers could be removed and the sludge had taken on the shapr of the covers.  It looked like they were still on. Old Pensoil engines used to look like that all the time because of the Paraffin chrystals from the oil.  She will be amased if she tanks the block.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 3:02pm
Oops quoted the wrong person LOL I meant Suzanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic