TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 10:03am
I honestly don't know the pistons in it - I know they were changed, duh, it was bored 40 over so they had to put something in it. What, the invoices only say "pistons". The guy that built the engine also did the dyno on it. 

TCI 
2500 stall converter - had the box it came out of with the stock converter in that box
Hooker "competition" headers
obviously the dual quad offy intake
280H cam which was listed specifically in the packet of stuff I got with the car
.040 over - pistons - unknown, invoice says only "8 pistons"
Rods and mains .020
Invoice says "Moly rings"
Invoice says only "16 lifters  16 springs  16 push rods"

Powerline Performance Machine  Chippewa Falls, WI

That's all I know about it. 
I don't know if the shop is worthless, just ok, decent, really good or better than that. 

Work done on heads - unknown

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 10:17am
Ehhh on the TCI converter. They're not much better than a factory high stall on a 727 postal Jeep.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Ehhh on the TCI converter. They're not much better than a factory high stall on a 727 postal Jeep.

Your opinion of course - 
when I got the car - with that already installed - several folks said they were decent and it was a good match for the car. 
Some don't agree.
So, there you have it. YOUR opinion vs......................

they get decent to good reviews out there-  nearly 5 of 5 stars in some places.

HotRod mag loves them - 
For our street driver, Street Hemi Coronet, we considered some of the great converter manufacturers like Turbo Action, ATI, Dynamic, Transmission Specialties, and TCI. We’ve used each one of these reputable companies’ torque converters through the years without a single issue. A few years ago we tried a TCI 10-inch Ultimate Street Fighter torque converter. That TCI unit helped a friend’s car run a 10.46 at 130 mph with a previous best of 10.52 at 128 mph using a different brand 10-inch converter. The 60-foot time also improved from 1.50 to 1.46. While street driving it showed less low rpm cruise slippage and better throttle response, meaning it was a more efficient converter with less of that slippage feel. Now five years later, my buddy’s A-Body has made over 50 10-second passes, and it has over 5,000 street miles — that durable unit was our deciding factor to go with a TCI Ultimate Street Fighter converter.

People on this forum speak highly of them - 
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tci-torque-converter-34296.html

But I note you tend to have to diss almost anything I do.
You join and right away that's what you start doing. 
You just HAD to comment on the converter. 

Edited by billd - Sep/11/2019 at 10:49am
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 10:59am
No diss. I've not found anyone til now who liked them enough to keep.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 11:08am
Then you haven't checked out all of the reviews, tests by magazines over the years and forum posts out there that I've seen. I checked after I got the car - one site I bookmarked had 5 stars out of 20 reviews, two magazines did tests and loved them, some of the Chevy forums say they are a first or second choice (behind some high dollar customs)
Fordmuscle, hotrod, several others I bookmarked. Of course you find a thread where someone blew a converter, and they will forever do all they can to spread the word about how bad those converters are. 
(perhaps it was owner/operator, or even the transmission shop messed it!  - who knows??)

I found it to be mostly positive with the few "I blew one once and so I know they are trash" things. 

Not saying they are the best, just that one can find negatives on anything. Look how rotten AMC engines are - they are absolute trash if you believe the comments out there. 
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 1:15pm
for a mostly stock 360 with a stock converter, this is the cam I would recommend.

If you go to any kind of converter at all, maybe 2500 then you can safely go a step or even two up.  to the Lunati Voodoo 10100702 or 703.  

A lot depends on how you drive.  A cam moves the power band up.  So while that ...703 cam is probably going to put a smile on your face when you rip on it, if your idea of driving is putting back and forth to get ice cream, then go with the smaller cam.

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 1:54pm
That cam looks nice. Anything more than that starts to trigger the snowball effect.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 3:34pm
The last Lunati I bought 10100700 had an advertised lift of 0.484". The Cam Card stated 0.496" lift which is at my maximum comfort level for stock valve train. Measured and yes it is 0.496" lift.
It works fine, but just, for valve stem seal clearance and rocker geometry.
This was bought for a standard transmission.
I would be very suspect of an advertised 0.507" lift working on a stock head without some modifications.

67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 11:59pm
If you need torque, then call Mike Jones, he makes a nifty fast action cam for the 904 lifter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic