TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Cam Bearing Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getlost4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 Cam Bearing Removal
    Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 10:06pm
anyone have any tips for removing the cam bearings.

i'm rebuilding my 360 right now.  i just need to get the bearings out.

i think i can get the new ones in easily enough but i don't want to damage the block to get the old ones out.

thanks
66-770 CLASSIC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66-770 CLASSIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 10:38pm
A cam bearing removal and and installing tool is the proper way to get these bearings removed and replaced without damage to the block or the new bearings. Cam bearings can be very "soft" and will distort if not inserted square with the bore and the oil holes need to be aligned properly. Almost any garage or automotive machine shop will have this tool,and can do this for a very minimal fee.
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 12:24am
NAPA sells the KD tool kit for performing this job. Check with any good auto parts store and they will be able to order one up. The kit is not cheap. Also check Summit.
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:36am
Unless you have done this before, and have the tools, take it to a shop for that process. Most will do it super cheap, esp if you have them clean the block. A couple shops here if you pay them for cleaning, they'll do the bearing remove and install for free or for a $20.
They did my bearings for much less than the cost of the tool. (although I HAVE done it before, I no longer have the tool for it)
Don't try it without the correct tools, a mistake can be very costly. And if you don't get them in straight or lined up with the oiling holes, wow, what a bad thing.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 7:02am
Best thing to do take it to a machine shop and have them put new cam bearings---why do it the hard way?
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 7:12am
If you find the right guy, we even had a young guy in town who would drive out to the shop and knock them out and a new set in for us.
I think he charged like $40 for the road trip, labor, we supplied the bearings.(dealership, long story)
If your going to do it, you might as well just get the shop to do the clean and new bearings.
Saves you time and effort and if it's a stock bore block you can have it honed and checked ready to go when you get it back.

Never hurts to scrub it out one last time before assembly though!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
getlost4x4 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getlost4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 8:42am
i honed the cylinders myself last night.  it went really well.  they look really good.

i may just build my own tool to do it myself.  i don't like the idea of pounding the bearings in.  i think some lube and pressure would seat the bearings better.  just my opinion though.

i would have just used the stock bearings, but they are all broken.  they literally split apart when i removed the cam.

i ordered new bearings from summit and the summit 8600 cam while i was at it.  it came out to $95 with shipping.

this motor is going in a jeep wagoneer, so i'm looking for some better low end torque.

are there any instructions anywhere for installing this cam?  how is it supposed to be degree'd?  i'm just looking for some reading material before i start the process.  this is my first engine rebuild, i'm really enjoying it so far.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 8:47am
Did you force the cam out??????  if you did, then that is why your cam bearings are broken.......I would not put the new cam in the same way--you will break the new bearings the same way..................You are supposed to turn the cam as you take it out.........................
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 8:48am
Originally posted by getlost4x4 getlost4x4 wrote:

i honed the cylinders myself last night.  it went really well.  they look really good.

My guess is you broke the glaze...... using a standard parts store glazebreaker. Proper honing takes the right equipment and the correct grit for the type of rings you intend on using. You'd use a different  surface for moly rings as opposed to cast, for example. If the surface is "too slick" the moly rings will take FOREVER to seat.

Did you measure the out of round, taper, etc.? Is there any ridge left at all?
If you can even slightly 'catch a fingernail' on it...............
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 9:10am
Originally posted by getlost4x4 getlost4x4 wrote:

i may just build my own tool to do it myself.  i don't like the idea of pounding the bearings in.  i think some lube and pressure would seat the bearings better.  just my opinion though.

i would have just used the stock bearings, but they are all broken.  they literally split apart when i removed the cam.

i ordered new bearings from summit and the summit 8600 cam while i was at it.  it came out to $95 with shipping.

this motor is going in a jeep wagoneer, so i'm looking for some better low end torque.

are there any instructions anywhere for installing this cam?  how is it supposed to be degree'd?  i'm just looking for some reading material before i start the process.  this is my first engine rebuild, i'm really enjoying it so far.
Are the cylinders clean?    Looks really good dont mean much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic