TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360/904/Ford 8.8 Rear Gear Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360/904/Ford 8.8 Rear Gear Question
    Posted: May/02/2016 at 1:50am
Having an AMC machinist/engine builders put together a 360/904 combo to replace my worn out 199/BW in my 69 Rambler. We have talked extensively about my goals and uses for the car. It will be a fun cruiser, driven a few times per week. Here in San Diego we have a lot of good freeways and I want to be able to cruise comfortably are 65 or 70 without overtaxing the engine.

I do not want the RPM's to hit 3,000 while cruising those speeds. I just bought a Ford 8.8 rear end and made a decision on a high (low numeric) gear ratio of 2.73. Some have told me I should get a lower gear (high numerically). But I am getting ready to complete the engine and need to finalize my decision.

Last week I pulled the drive train in anticipation of proceeding with the swap.

My question: has anyone run a 2.73 gear in a Ford Explorer 8.8 with a 360/904 combo and what do you think of the 2.73 gear selection for a cruiser? 3.08 or lower gear seems like it would give me an uncomfortable RPM at the above mentioned speeds. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Matt

Edited by LakesideRamblin - May/02/2016 at 1:56am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 3:27am
what tire size?
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 7:37am
Use the calculators at www.4lo.com to figure rpm at cruising speed. Other calculator sites work as good, that is just easy to remember and has everything, including a tire diameter calc.

As UnclJohn has pointed out in another post, you want around 32 mph per 1000 rpm, or 2000 rpm around 64-65 mph. You need at least 2000rpm to be in the engine's torque band enough to efficiently pull the vehicle along at speed. Some can get by with less with the right cam/weight (light!) combo, but 2000 minimum in high gear is a good rule of thumb. I run a 3.55 and am right there, but I have an OD auto. You wouldn't want to run 3.55 gears. 2.73 might not be bad with a 904, especially if it's not a lock-up converter model. The older model trannys had more slip in the converters, meaning they multiply torque more, typically at least 2:1 (engine with 200 ft/lbs@ 2000 rpm gets multiplied to 400 ft/lbs through converter), and will take off better with higher (low number) gears like a 2.73. More modern trannys like my AW4 use high efficiency converters with less slip (AW4 has a 1.4:1 multiplication ratio stock converter) and need a bit more gear, made up for with OD.

Tire diameter makes a bit of difference. A smaller diameter is like lowering the gear a little, larger diameter makes it higher (remember, lower gear is a bigger number... 3.08 is lower than 2.73).  There isn't a lot of difference in tire size, maybe 100 rpm one size up or down, but it helps. If you can go several sizes of course it has more effect. You will have to adjust your speedo gear also, but there are many available for the 904.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 8:11am
Alot of the V8 cars ran 2.87s. thats about 2500RPM @ 55.  thats with a 14 inch tire.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 9:09am
Was going for a 15 inch wheel with 205/65/R15 tire. My current wheel is a 14".
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 11:18am
205 65R/15 comes in at 25.5, and with a 2.73 that will be OK for cruising at 70 mph. Depending on converter it will be 2550-2600 rpm, a little higher than some like, but really not horrible. It's sort of what you are happy with.

To me 3.15 is too much for cruising around here at 75 mph, and a 2.87 is barely acceptable; a 2.73 would be a little better. You will get lots of different opinions on this. OD's are really a great thing, but what you are talking about is pretty good for a non OD.

One suggestion is to look at a wide ratio gearset for the 904, dirt common and cheap. The 360 in a light car should have no problem with the rpm drop on shift, and the 2.74 1st gear will give you some ratio back.

One observation is the 25.5 dia tire is a tight fit in the 69 Rambler wheelwell. I have 235 60/R14 on mine, 25.1", and it fits nice, and when I go to the track use 235 60/R15 at 26.1". Just barely fits, grabbed the wheelwell on a bad bump. the 25.5 should be good, but there will not be much spare room.
PacerLarry View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PacerLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 11:41am
I run a 360/904 with a 205 65R/15 rear tire. Before I changed my gears, I had a 2.73 and in my opinion it was perfect for cruising.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 2:29pm
Thank you, Ken and Larry.  That is great information.  I have been tempted with going to an OD transmission but like the 904.  I will check out the wide ratio gear set as that sounds like it will help.  I think your answers solidified my decision to go with a 2.73 gear ratio. 

My problem with wheels/tires is that I have a new Wilwood disc brake kit I will be installing on the front and a new Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end with discs and have been told that my current 14's won't fit over the calipers.  That is why I was going with a 15" wheel and a tire that will fit.  I installed a new set of V8 springs in the front and it brought it up 3/4" (before installing the V8 setup) and I will be installing a new set of leaf springs bent an additional 1/2" with the 8.8 rear which is also about 3/4" larger diameter than my current AMC 15 rear end.  I am hoping that will give me a slight bit of additional tire clearance.

Do you know of any good 15" tires that will fit better than the 205/65 without looking too flat or skinny? Maybe a 215/60/R15 - I think it comes out to 25.2".  Maybe just a hair more room for fitment?

I really appreciate your input.  Thanks again.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - May/02/2016 at 2:49pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 3:52pm
I just ordered five 225 60 15 tires for my Javelin. They are replacing old rotten tires of the same size and the spare.

The suitable rim widths for such a tire are 6" to 8".

There is a super deal on these right now for USA. I am picking them up in ND and bringing them here. Even with $ exchange and 13% tax at the border they are about half price compared to here. PM me and I will let you know where to get them.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 4:19pm
The stock Rambler wheelwell is really tiny, so you are limited. Probably either one of those sizes you listed would be good, but you will have to be really careful of axle width and wheel backspacing. There is very little spare room in diameter and width.

The 235 60/15's on my Rambler have to be close to the maximum reasonable fit, maybe not so reasonable. I have a 9" Ford that is a touch wider than stock, and to fit the Drag radials the backspacing had to be exact. But I could not find a wheel with the correct number. So I went to an oval track guy and had him fit a set of 15 x 7 shells on an AMC center with my backspacing so I could keep the stock dog dish hubcap. There is barely enough clearance at the lip so I did like the SC cars and bent in the inner lip, and there is just enough room to fit a finger between the tire and the leaf spring.

Moral of the story is you are probably OK; the size sounds good, but measure and fit everything before you spend any money. Backspacing will have to be right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic