TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 7:14pm
An Elgin Pro-Stock Cam and / or "Kit" from Falcon Global is one cost saving choice if doing the 343.
Pistons can be a "cost problem" though.
The 343 stock heads should be rectangular exhaust port, but same big valves as the 390.
Biggest challenge is a shop and a person who knows in-and-out all the AMC V8 "watchouts".
imho engine shops can get "flustered" since they do so few an AMC they can be a "headache".
Even finding the correct parts can be more of a challenge than other brands.
And every single piece part and feature MUST BE CHECKED and INSPECTED...
even the journal diameters on a new camshaft and new cam bearings should be checked ! for example.
Someone here recently had an oiling problem and found a MISSING HOLE in the Oil Pump Gasket !
It really is a LOT to go into to collect and re-iterate how and what to do...

Here on eBay Canada is a New AMC V8 Kit Elgin E-912-P Cam, Lifters, Pushrods, Valve Springs, Retainers, Locks, Timing Chain, & Gaskets Kit for $319 Total with free shipping....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMC-Jeep-304-360-401-Cam-Kit-204-214-050-Tork-lifters-springs-pushrods-Stage-1/171068928224?fits=Make%3AAMC&hash=item27d480b0e0:g:RQMAAOSw8axZ6KnM&vxp=mtr

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by wrebelmachine wrebelmachine wrote:

BTW I think the other member is the gentleman that just had a post about a 304 dyno on here.

Forum member Jcisworthy John Rossello 
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Brandosst Brandosst wrote:

I believe the heads are dogleg.Does that mean square or rectangle? These are definately rwctangle ports. 
The exhaust ports on dogleg heads look like this:
Whereas, the stock 343 heads have rectangular exhaust ports. Dogleg heads can be used on a 343, but you have to use a 70 & up intake, or slot the centre holes on the existing intake. It's a fairly common mod which allows use of the free flow exhaust manifolds. If you're planning to run headers, then the head swap likely won't do much for your intended use.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:50pm
If you are doing just 350hp it is very easy with a 343 stock rebuild with a good set of headers get rid of the log exhaust cam swap I would do a custom grind but a off the shelf grind could be made to work.a air gap or maybe a offy equa-flow intake, ignition and carb upgrade and you are there. Not hard to do at all with the factory 10:1 motor.
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:54pm
Remember the factory 343 with a 4 barrel was rated at 280hp.

67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 11:47pm
Why not a driveable car with a small cam and lots of torque? Swap in some lower gears and you can tell fools you have 500HP after you blow their doors off. They'll have absolutely no reason to deny it Cool
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2019 at 8:02am
Weiseheimer 
Built my 343 in Berwyn I’ll suburb of Chicago 
And I did it high rise , headers , valve train and heads ,
Solid axels   You know the rest 
Any ways short story 
Just got in the amx , car in primer running sweet, I take out local roads go on a small high way after a bit keeping the revs pretty low doing about 2200 rpm it was a 7 k engine ,and a long side me pulled up a Ferrari we’re both even and I........
End of story never punched it engine was to new and 
Now all theses years later and I never got to race that car wish I would of 
She was chopping at the bit 
so long ago
Gary

Edited by amx007 - Sep/16/2019 at 8:04am
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Brandosst View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandosst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 2:36pm
I found a local guy that knows AMC well, he is in his sixties and does work for a speed shop that has been here in my town for decades.Thank you so much for the advice.I think I know which direction I want to go.
Brandosst View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandosst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 2:48pm
I'm going to let him work on the engine while I strip the front end  and get that going. Now the search is on for seats and a 4 or 5 speed transmission. .Going Disc brakes in front.How hard is it to convert the rear as well?
Girthquake View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girthquake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Brandosst Brandosst wrote:

I'm going to let him work on the engine while I strip the front end  and get that going. Now the search is on for seats and a 4 or 5 speed transmission. .Going Disc brakes in front.How hard is it to convert the rear as well?

I'm a total newbie- so take this with a grain of salt- but light googling says there's no stock disc brake setup for the Dana 20 rear axel. However, there is this thread from the Jeep Forum that might be a good shopping list for you:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/amc-20-disc-brake-conversion-parts-list-957447/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic