TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

343 with Dog Leg heads?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

360 is a stroker 343 with better heads and a higher deck height.

Somewhere in about 1973??? the crank was changed to fit the Chrysler automatics.

Thats what i was thinking as well.  Although the 343 and the 360 were available in 1970 they were different deck heights
The 360 took the place of the 343 in 1970. The 343 ended with the 69 model year.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 6:56pm
I would use the later heads with step dowels and later intake.  I have extra step dowels (bushings) if you need them.  This will allowed for a better exhaust manifold as well as headers.  I have never had a problem with intake leaks bolting later heads (post '70) on a older pre '70 block.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 9:40pm
Really no issue with intakes, just use the correct one for the block you are running. Square port and dog leg heads have basically the same intake port location and size. Plenty of intake options, here are a couple to kick off with:

RPM Air-Gap AMC (non-EGR, for 1967-69 290-390 c.i.d.) P/N 7530
RPM Air-Gap AMC (non-EGR, for 1970-91 304-401 c.i.d.) P/N 7531

Torker for the early engines 2935
Torker for the later engines 2930

The 2935 was discontinued in 2009 so you are stuck with used, but the 7530 should still be available new although that is possibly discontinued now too.

Taking a little bit of compression out with the bigger chamber heads might be a good thing depending on what sort of fuel you have access to and want to pay for. 10.2:1 with iron heads and no quench by having the pistons way down the bore is going to need some highish octane fuel. I think that quench is one of the most important things (besides the dog leg heads) you gain with the 360 over the 343, the extra few cubes is not going to make an earth shattering difference to performance.
68st343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68st343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 11:50pm
Question, if the drawback to a 343 is pistons are down in the block, an the 360 crank having a slightly longer stroke, does a 360 crank fit in a 343 block which would then let you use a 727 trans and fix the down in the hole problem with 343 engines? John
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 1:05am
Using a 360 crank is a good solution in these engines, but remember that AMC raised the deck as well as increasing the stroke when they developed the later engine. What his means is that you really need a piston with a slightly shorter compression height than the regular AMC 360 piston or you can use some other tricks to achieve the same outcome otherwise you can end up with the piston sitting proud of the block.
Cowboy.2010 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowboy.2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 6:39am
Thanks for all the info so far. Now I just have to decide which direction im going to go. Either leave square port heads and put four barrel aluminum intake with headers/exhaust OR the dogleg head set up. I dont plan on leaving the 343 in the car for all that long because I would like to find a 390/401 to build or build the 360 I all ready have so I can also have a 727 or turbo400 tranny. But I know how expensive engine builds go alot of time by getting put on back burner. So I want to be happy with the 343 for the time being untell I get the other engine built.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 6:58am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

....... otherwise you can end up with the piston sitting proud of the block.

I haven't heard that term in years!  Decades ago a friend and I were working on his Norton motorcycle and there was an 'O'-ring in a bore.  The service manual said to make sure the 'O'-ring was 'proud'.  It took us a little while and a lot of questions to find out that's the English term for 'protrudes' or 'sticks up above the rest'!!
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 7:17am
Originally posted by 68st343 68st343 wrote:

Question, if the drawback to a 343 is pistons are down in the block, an the 360 crank having a slightly longer stroke, does a 360 crank fit in a 343 block which would then let you use a 727 trans and fix the down in the hole problem with 343 engines? John
According to my calculations assuming a 1.581 compression height, just by installing the 360 crank in a 343 block would result in a +.001" piston stick up above the deck.  I normally build them at zero or just below deck.  I had pistons made for this one.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 7:47am
With the 1.581 compression height Speed Pro pistons you should get away with it, Wiseco are 1.590 Compression height and I have factory spec down as 1.601 from somewhere. General consensus is that the aftermarket pistons often have a slightly lower compression height to allow for decking the block. Anything like this you really need to measure up, because you probably don't know how far a block has already been decked in nearly 50 years since it rolled out of the factory and all of the factory measurements has a bit of tolerance in them too.

If the 343 is just a temporary solution, then I wouldn't get too carried away with it, stick with the square port heads, grab an aluminium 4 barrel intake or just use the factory cast iron on and stick a bit of cam into it.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 9:00am
The question was "Bang for the Buck?"
For my money a cam. It is also the most work, but the biggest benefit from one singe thing.
Stay under a half inch lift and it is a bolt in with no need to change or modify valve train.
As to compression? Don't run more than available gasoline can support.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic