TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

343 crank with 6cylinder flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 6:06pm
Ok great! I sent an email to the company checking on the kit since I didn't find it on their web site. If I can find one I'll order it as I have anther project that I'd like to upgrade the transmission at some point. So I could use it even if I don't use the 6 cyl flywheel on this engine.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 9:57am
Unless this is a really high powered engine I don't think the bolts not fitting tight in the holes would be an issue. Once the bolts are torqued down they are not the stress point. They would just be like a key in a shaft. The main holding power is where the the crank hub and flywheel join -- the clamping force is what's holding. The only time you stress the bolts to the side is if they happen to work loose and the flywheel actually moves. As long as they are just a loose fit and not really loose (like a 5/16" bolt in a 3/8" hole would be too loose, just an easy drop in wouldn't be) there should be no issues, but as Jim mentioned, a machine shop can come up with several ways to fix it, and make you a spacer if that's a concern. As long as the flywheel clears everything in the bell and the starter will engage the ring gear everything will be fine there.

My concern is if there is a balance weight on the flywheel for the 343 or not. I don't recall if a stock 343 flywheel has a balance weight, but I think all the Gen 2/3 V-8s have one. One of those will start with a flywheel without a balance weight (or the wrong balance weight) and run low rpm/idle with no issues. I've heard of people running 304 flywheels on a 360 and not having any noticeable vibration issues until 3000-4000 rpm -- broke engine in and didn't notice any issues until starting to drive it harder.  That doesn't mean there are no vibrations until 3000+ rpm, just that the engine mounts and harmonic balancer are absorbing lower speed vibrations -- will still reduce bearing life if run that way for a long period of time. If the crank has been internally balanced there should be holes drilled and filled in the counterweights. If not, and no signs of a weight having been added to the six cylinder flywheel, I'd either have balance checked by a shop (if the engine isn't assembled... I think you mentioned yours is) or get a 343 flywheel. Even if you have aftermarket pistons and such, the stock 343 flywheel should be close enough to run without any issues. Really only require balancing if running light weight rods and pistons -- that changes reciprocating weight a good bit. Stock rods and aftermarket replacement pistons shouldn't affect reciprocating weight very much, especially if the pistons were matched in weight. It's not a bad idea to balance, the better the balance the longer the engine should last, especially if you plan on turning it up a good bit often (like a drag race engine), but for a street engine having the crank balanced is just a personal choice. While theoretically it should last longer, there are other things that will give out before the bearings if it's well maintained.
Frank Swygert
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 10:32am
The 290 and 343 use the same flywheel with no balancing lug.  The balancing was accomplished by drilling holes in the flywheel and crank for each individual rotating assembly.
The best method is to get the rotating assembly balanced to whatever flywheel and vibration damper that you are going to use. 
No guesswork and assumptions.

I will eventually fix the pictures..
http://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/585/amc-290-401-flywheels-flexplates

001 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
867 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
Top left 290 top right 343.  Notice the balancing holes.
 290242390 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Jan/21/2018 at 12:00pm
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 12:11pm
Rick
 I have a few few photos of the flywheel in question, however when I go to the icon to add an image it says Server Error 500 so at this point I'm not able to post them. 

I noticed on the two 6 cylinder flywheel pictures you posted the back side the crankshaft mating surface is flush, on mine it is recessed similar to the 290 343 ones. Perhaps someone machined the back of this flywheel?

Also note the number casting is 3212621. The only thing I can find close to this is an Amc number 3122621. There is a notch on the back side of the flywheel the same as the 258 one pictured. The casting numbers are below and just to the right of that notch. If you call that 12:00 then at 4:00 there is a casting number with a circle before and after L246. At 8:00 there is an additional number W-4. Not sure if that helps. 

Any input on how to post pictures, Ive printed the guide from the Forum but the Server error prevents me from going any further.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 8:04pm
The later 6cyl. had a flat back . The flywheel locates on the OD of the ring for the convertor.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:42am
That means you either have a 343 flywheel, or the six cylinder flywheel may have been balanced to the engine. I don't recall seeing balance holes in a six cylinder flywheel. If there are several balance holes around the face diameter that would be a good indicator that what you have has been balanced to your 343.

Thanks for those pics Rick, helps a lot!
Frank Swygert
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:39am

Finally figured out how to load photos.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:45am
Ah, balance holes!! Makes me wonder... do most six cylinder flywheels have a balance hole or two? I ran one a while in my car, and a Jeep J-10, but don't recall if it had any balance holes. Haven't had one apart in a while now...
Frank Swygert
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 9:16am
What appears to be a notch in the face is actually one of two holes drilled in the edge of the flywheel. One is close to the face thus it looks like a notch the other is an inch or so away and drilled closer to the ring gear so it isn't viewable unless you look at the edge of the flywheel. One 3/4+- diameter hole is drilled in the face of the flywheel.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 11:08am
Yes, 6cyl flywheels have balance holes as well.
Maybe someone can look up that part number - It is not listed on Eddy's site.

Looks like someone may have machined a counterbore in yours.
Take the pressure plate bolts out, lay it flat and measure the height to where it would mate up to the crank - I will measure mine to see if they are the same.
Also, sit the crank in the counterbore. There should be a slight press to a slip fit.
Looks like you may be good to go. You should still have a machinest machine the face and check for balance with the rotating assembly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic